or Connect

Posts by Bazza

I am in a very similar situation to you, only difference is, I don't have a chef to learn from, I am completely on my own. I have learned from books, TV and of course the internet. It really depends on what style of cooking you do, the size of your kitchen and in which direction you want to go. Learning is the easy part, putting it into practise is much harder, especially if you are busy. Everything you do must be tailored to suit your business and it's facilities. If you...
OK it's official, I now have a new sauce in my repertoire. Bazza's Borderlaise is big, bold and beautiful! I poached the marrow and lost most of the texture but left the shallots in the final sauce and added some freshly chopped parsley. It went down lovely with a nice slice of fillet steak, the marrow adds richness and depth to the sauce and a distinct background flavour, it's delicious. A little adjustment here and there but overall I am very happy with it. Thanks for...
Whilst there are some people who may have an issue with this, I as an employer would not. If you can get the job done by whatever means and safely, then I would have you in my kitchen. Do not be put of by people telling you that you can't do it, only you know what you can do and if you are determined enough you can do pretty much anything you want. DC Sunshine mentioned Michael Caines who is a great chef with only one arm and it hasn't stopped him, in fact he has probably...
An Alien?? LOL ...Ok if he has a nose I would give him truffles, if he has a heart I'd give him fois gras.
A simple vanilla creme brulee is my favourite. Many people serve them chilled and in deep ramekins which is totally missing the point. In a wide shallow dish you will get a larger percentage of caramelised sugar per mouthful and always serve at room temperature. Both of these things will bring out the vanilla flavour. Mmmm BTW my preferred sugar is icing (or confectioners) sugar, its more delicate than the traditional sticky brown sugar and gives a lovely golden brown...
Thank you for all of your replies my bones arrive today and armed with this expert knowledge I will now cook the sauce with more confidence :chef:
Yes thats what I would do. If you change the quantities it will be different from the original soup.
Thank you for your reply, with a name like that I guess I can take your advice seriously :D There is a lot of info there and as I suspected adding it at the end is better. I am using demi-glace and would prefer the showy ballsy thingy option. You see I am a lone chef in a small restaurant, I do all the prep all the cooking and all the cleaning. There is no need to tell you guys how hard the job is but the situation is so. I only have help in service and, inevitably...
Thank you for your responses I will have fun with this :)
As many of you will know, Borderlaise sauce requires bone marrow, I have never used it and want to make the sauce authentic. My butcher cannot supply the bone marrow but is delivering beef marrow bones next week. I need to know how to extract the marrow from the bones and how to store it. I am experienced at making sauces and usually freeze them in ice cube trays and store the cubes for use in service. Will the marrow dissolve in the sauce, or is it better to freeze it...