or Connect

Posts by Bazza

I think the answer to whinging customers is to have someone out front who is able to deal with them. I am so lucky my wife has the patience of a saint and she mothers them all, even the old guys and they love it. She knows all of their life stories, grandchildren's names and everything. When she is not not around they complain that they miss her. How bizzare! this is a restaurant not and old folks home.
Hi everyone I've been reading Marco Pierre White's book recently and apparently in his early career he had a restaurant called Harveys in London. If a customer at Harveys was being particularly obnoxious MPW would instuct his Maitre D' to clear the table of everything except the cloth whilst completely ignoring the customers' protests, then Marco would emerge from the kitchen and remove the cloth in one fell swoop. The customers were left sitting at a bare table eventually...
It really depends on what you are putting with the scallops. I also like clean white plates, the simpler the better, let the food speak for itself. Use a grddle pan to half sear the scallops, this will give you nice lines accross them, then before you flip them over, just turn them 90 degrees for the second searing this will create a checkerboard pattern on one side.Then flip them over and repeat. I have never heard of cutting a pattern on them.
My weakness is chocolate, only do not put my chocolate in the fridge! It has to be eaten at room temperature and accompanied with seriously strong cofee. I am salivating now...
Yeah turbot and halibut are both flat and similar in texture I think the original thread was asking for a substitute for halibut. Sorry for late reply I don't get on here too often. Find it fascinating though.
Hi I am from the UK and frankly I am stunned by some of your replies. The only fish I would substitute for halibut would be turbot, however I am not sure of its availabilty on your side of the pond. It is a more expensive than halibut which itself is costly over here.
You could always state your terms on the website and maybe be a little vague like " this is a sample menu only" or "menu subject to changes" and the like. I love using websites because you can direct visitors to a lot of information without committing yourself too much. I know you need to get your message out there but you don't need to give too much away, especially to time wasters. Its all about designing the site to suit your needs.
I heard you can oven dry scallop roes until they are hard and brittle, you then grind them to a powder which can be used to impart flavour and colour to sauces and risottos etc. Has anyone any advice on how to store this and how long it will keep?
Poahed halibut with vermouth and star anise. Sweat off some chopped shallot in butter and add a star anise, add a splosh of vermouth and reduce by half. Add some chicken stock, bring to boil and simmer. Add halibut steak, season with salt no pepper, cover and poach for a couple of mins, turn fish for a couple more mins then remove fish and keep warm. Reduce liquor by half add a splosh of cream and bubble for a couple more mins. Serve with pomme puree and french beans. Yum!
Ok I just had to Google Robert Irvine coz I'd never heard of him either! Seems he is a top pedigree chef started out in the Royal Navy at 15 yrs old and was swiftly recognised as a culinary talent. Promoted to Royal yacht Brittania he travelled all over the world cooking for anyone Royal, posh and important, lucky man! As for Ramsey, don't pay attention to all that effing and blinding, its just TV. Gordon Ramsey is one of the greatest chefs ever and you'd better believe...