or Connect

Posts by AllanMcPherson

Phatch, so you attribute this to a physical action rather than a chemical? Interesting, and logical.
Well said sir!
Not creative in and of itself, but an observation that might valuable: I am guessing that most of us has seen this, cutting up a buch of zucchini for whatever kind of prep. You stack them in a container (raw) until you want to use them. Low and behold, your slices have (in some cases) stuck together. Sometimes really solidly. Anybody know what causes this? I have been looking online for an answer but have come up empty. This could be something to be exploited, if...
Gastronaughts? I kinda like sauce monkey...
Jim, I do try to stay up on what my coleagues and competion are doing. Not so much to ape them, but to make sure that I am not treading too closely. Sometimes I come across that rings my bell so much that I have to riff on, however. I have a few close friends in town that are in the biz that aremgreat for just shooting the stuff with and that really helps keep you fresh and on your toes. Its hard not toget overtly competitive and just appreciate what other folks are up...
In a perfect world, you do both. If you are sacrificing one pole, self or customer, in a dramatic way, for the other there will be trouble. You need to put some of yourself in your cuisine just to keep motivated to do your best. Doing your best is most certainly in the customer's best interest. You cannot be totally selfless in this (or any) occupation. We are cooks, not monks. Looking after yourself doesn't mean ego stroking or hunting for praise. For me,...
Dude, just leave. You already know you should, in fact I would say you have to. It won't get better, it will only make you sick and burned out. If you are anything like me, walking away is difficult. You get the feeling that you have somehow failed, that things might be ok if you only had some brilliant idea, that there is something that you are missing. You probably also are having the feeling that leaving is going to screw your crew, and have some guilt over...
[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cheftalk.com/content/type/61/id/96887/width/350/height/700[/IMG Not the best picture, but just to riff on the idea. This is a salad I made the other night. You can see some glistening, thread like strands scattered about. This is gin. I was making a fluid gel and must have gone bonkers on the amount of agar agar. The gel was as solid as a bar of soap. Rather than melting it down and thinning it out, I took a microplane to it and used it as you...
Many of us here love teqhinque. Any "how to" thread at CT will usually get you really solid recommondations and advice on how to execute any number of dishes. Doing things "right" is really important to many of us. A conversation with a customer got me obessesing over aligot, the french potato and cheese dish that hinges on doing everything "wrong" when making a "good" pomme puree. What "mistakes" have you run into that have yeilded interesting possibilities? Many...
Many of us here love teqhinque. Any "how to" thread at CT will usually get you really solid recommondations and advice on how to execute any number of dishes. Doing things "right" is really important to many of us. A conversation with a customer got me obessesing over aligot, the french potato and cheese dish that hinges on doing everything "wrong" when making a "good" pomme puree. What "mistakes" have you run into that have yeilded interesting possibilities? Many...