or Connect

Posts by AllanMcPherson

Parsnips too, they take on such a sweet, gentle flavour, love putting them side by side with their roasted cousins.
Rub your pork in sugar, salt, whatever spice is in your ball park. Add a tiny, like a quarter tea spoon, of deactivated baking soda. Take the pork and vaccuum bag it with a chunk of double smoked bacon. Pressure cook the bagged meat on a rack, make sure the water level is about an inch or more below the rack. Cook for your forty. Let it vent naturally (if you run it under cold water the bag has a good chance of popping). Out of curiousity, why the aversion to browning?
Are those farmed quail? I have never had a toughness issue with quail. I have served buttermilk fried quail in the past but never marinated it in, just a quick dip before dredging. I suspect Panini is on the money about over marinading. Al
The colour doesn't bother me nearly as much as the burger king thing.
Definately worth knowing how to do, more important to know when to use!  There are a bunch of ways to foam liquids, each have there own qualities.  The trend Lauren brought up was a dark time...lots of people just using foams for the sake of it.  Mind you, lots of things go that way, coloured oils, fried herbs, tuilles, all have been used a little too much when they were hot.     My advice is not to think of opprotunities to use foams, but keep the technique in your back...
Ok, you win.
Yeah, I think Adrian asks a perfectly reasonable question.  He was pretty straightforward about what he was looking for, what he had already done, and what he wanted to do with it.  Not taking advantage of online resources, especially one like this that can offer personal first hand opinions, in this day and age is doing proper research.  I guarantee you a Librarian would suggest he do exactly that (having been one for most of my twenties).   He is asking for general...
I can get tendons pretty regularly at a local Asian grocery.  I  will add a few to the veal stock pot, fantastic for gelatin.     Not the best pic, but on the bottom right is my fav use for tendon.  Once braised a good long time (or pulled from the stock pot), trim the tendon very well of any gristle and meat.  Cool, and slice into small pieces.  Pop these into a dehydrator over night until rock hard and "gem like" (kinda resembles a broken beer bottle).  Pop into a...
Use the ice to "stop" the cooking, and help set the starch in the potato. Carry over cooking in this method will leave you with a sheet pan of mashed potato. If you are not cooking the spuds to an extent where this is a concern, then you are not taking them far enough. I have played with this a lot and from my experience, if you dont cook them that much, there is no point and you would be better off saving the time and doing the conventional blanch in moderate oil,...
What changes did you make? I always use a variation of this method, so I can tell you what I do differently: Dont start the boiling in cold water, have the water at a rolling boil Waiting five minutes before the first fry is not nearly enough. You want then cold and dry, at least three hours in a fridge How much bigger are you cutting the fries? Steak house size fries are trickier with this method, unless you are using something like a circulator. I dont think boiling...