Posts by AllanMcPherson

Well, damn.  Now I feel like a punter.  Me being me, I can't help but wondering about stuffing the skin....
Average air temps in Halifax in mid-May are between 41F and 54F, so I am not super concerned with freezing lines.  Of course you never know for sure...so thanks for the warning!
Thanks guys...glad I asked!  Saves me power outlet and is a great excuse to get a turkey fryer!
I have a off site (but site accessable) event coming up.  I am considering doing something that would incorporate a fried element.  This would require me using a couple of tabletop deep fryers.  Anybody have advice/warnings for this sort of thing?  I am especially thinking about heat recovery in a Canadian May...I wouldn't even want to guess what the air temp is going to be.  Are there any sensible ways of mitigating these sorts of things?   Thanks in advance,   Al
Happy International Woman's Day everybody!  Good grief, is this even a question?  
Feel bad for you there, to be hired on basis of your strengths and then have to work contrary to them!  If you have to use the rig (and what set up do you have, btw?) maybe use it for veg cooking and do the meats and fish as you prefer?  Your venting/hood issues are going to be a problem either way.  Hard sears might not be in your future.  
Oh boy...good luck.  Getting a text based sv primer to handle all aspects is tall order.  Theory is easy to find but so much is hands on...just like any other cooking technique.  One thing from your questions that I would be watchful of; I get the sense that you looking for ways to make sv cooking come out like other means.  Don't get side tracked by that.  Let it do what it does, don't try to force a square peg in a round hole.  Like, you wouldn't work your butt off to...
I did something similar about a year ago, a riff on "seamless ravioli" where I had a coating of mung bean starch and xanthan around a really gelatinous demi glace (fortified with a hit of methocell).  Very carefully poached from frozen, the starch would hold together and be semi-transparent with a liquid centre.   It was very picky going and I wouldn't do it on the regular.   I did have a thought; would you be willing to try something like artificial sausage casing?...
If something like this was really quick and easy I could see myself using it for staff training.  Quick demo's to have available for reference.  
I was on the first season of the Canadian knocko--er, equivalent.   It was good experience on the whole.  The crew and host were really respectful and did their best to get what they needed while not getting in our way (as much as possible).   I honestly didn't take the whole thing too seriously.  I am not big into this sort of programing and greatly underestimated the reach this sort of thing might have.  We had a huge pop once the showed aired that took monthes to...