or Connect

Posts by AllanMcPherson

Forgot to add, one thing I do is keep some vital wheat gluten around. If I have a dough that isn't coming together, and don't want to bombard it with too much flour, add in the gluten, say 30g at a time, and mix hard.
yeast breads aren't exactly as precise as other pastry applications. Yeast is a living thing and has its piccadilos. Flours are, as indicated above, greatly influenced by humidity. Heck, even mixers aren't even all the same. Five minutes of kneeding in my 600 series Kitchen Aid (at my kitchen) is probably going to be more 10 minutes in my 400 series at home. Or two minutes in the Hobart. If you are serious about learning bread making I would recommend making your...
when you cut your parchment off the tube: "flip" it so the curly ends are going downwards crease it lengthwise, right down the middle. flip back over
Yes. And that list is silly. Except for insects, all of those are routine highlights on my menues foryears...so I am a hipster now? Grrrr
Antipasto?
Speaking of dim sum, that is one dish I have never cracked . Those steamed turnip / Daikon cakes. I adore the texture but have never nailed it myself. Maybe 2015....
What I like about Noma, in spite of the talk about hyper localism, is that they are firmly grounded in technique. In other words, it's not that he serves lichen, but rather they have put a lot of effort into figuring out not only how to make edible, but (by accounts) delicious. That said, I am not a fan of foraging just for the hell of it. I had a dish last year that I was informed was made with blue foot mushrooms that the "kitchen" (field trip?) Had foraged. They...
It depends on what effect you are going for, something like cut oxtail, that you are looking for a long tenderization of, if you just tack an extra hour or two on the time. Like I say, I don't recommend it.
Aside from time and temp (where I would go high 60's, for a day, check and at that point) I would consider thawing first. Not for anything with to do with the cooking per se, but I have had issues with frozen meat thawing and wrecking the tension in the bag as they thaw. You might need to re pack
I used to do over 24 hr cooks at this temp range all the time, especially in the first two years of working with low temp cooking. There is an appeal to eating a braising cut that comes off as med rare, for sure. And to be honest, I will occasionally still do this for home use. That said, this sort (under 60 c) of cooking is the only time I have had failures of sous vide. That is, the meat coming off as, well, off. MY sanitation is solid, and my vac bags are stored...