or Connect

Posts by AllanMcPherson

I don't know if there are too many restaurants opening, per se, or if there are just too many basically interchangeable restaurant concepts being churned out.  I get this feeling that people have this weird idea of wanting "maximum choice" while maintaining "total consistency."
Vann,   I think the low wages and working conditions are a result of the over reliance on temporary/transitory workers with no intention of making hospitality their career.  If even 80% of these guys and gals were committed to making this field their career priority things would change.  But if you are working a line to get you through college, nothing more, then you aren't really going to be concerned about the over all state of working life.     Skill, experience,...
Kuan,   One of the pop-ups I did last year was to open an urban art show.  We did one course, basically a composed salad, where all (er, most) of the ingredients have been sources for tattoo ink and dyes.  Came out similar to your scenario above!
Pan,   I agree that there is a certain "toxic" quality  within the workforce itself but I think management culture is equally (if not more so to blame for many of the staffing quality issues.  There certainly are driven, talented, and serious cooks out there.  These are the folks who really want this to be their career.  And you also get a bunch of the workforce who think that they want it but learn after a time it is not the life for them.  Can't blame a person for...
Thanks for the examples, very interesting indeed!  I will be happy to share more about this venture as it gets closer to being to being an actuality.     In the meantime, any further thoughts from the community are more than welcome!     Al
Not to sound too twee about it but the one thing to know that will lead anybody to be better at cooking is; to know what you want the end result of dish to be.  That is to say, know what you want to eat and why you want it to be that way.  Nearly anything can be reversed engineered from that standpoint.  
Yup. RM is as close to all purpose (again, from experience) and will work anywhere it comes into contact with protein.  There is another that is better for slurry applications (will remain active in slurry form for extended times).     Sealing after forming is a good idea, to a point.  I would pop some tiny holes in the plastic wrap first, just to allow the pull a good chance at pulling out any air pockets.    Is your plan to form your roll, then cut and cook?  Or are...
I haven't looked it up in a while but I am pretty sure "TG" isn't a formulation but just the abbreviation for "meat glue" writ large.  If you actually received RM (the best all purpose formula, from what I have seen) you ought to be good on your fish roll.   That said...   You might need more than you think.  A good dusting on all contact points of the fish (like icing sugar on a slice of cake).    Like so many other things with fish, make sure it is good and dry...
@chefwriter   1) Increase in general revenue and increase general presence in the local community.  Allows for access to liquor licence which would greatly augment show openings (shows open biweekly-to monthly).  Also to provide a social space for an upcoming art scene.  An exhaust system, I think anyway, is important.  I do not think the layout would preclude a well sequestered kitchen that would vent out into the back. The landlord is looking at redoing the heating in...
I was wondering if anybody here has had any experience with running a permanent restaurant space inside of an art gallery?   In this "friend of a friend" scenario this would come with the doubling of space of an existing gallery space, Any specialso yes, a brand new install.    Any special considerations that might not be obvious when dealing with sort of concept?  My concerns (beyond the usual going broke stuff) are on the safety and preservation of the art.     I...