or Connect

Posts by ziggy

I've been following the "cafeteria" thread with interest as these environments have been discussed there...which leads me to this post... I finished culinary school in Dec. Right now I am working my way through some science classes so I can begin an MS in Nutrition program next year which also includes the internship to become a Registered Dietitian. I have part-time job right now cooking in a very small corporate cafeteria. I didn't have any experience before...
You and your students will have a great time in KC. I had no idea what VICA was all about when I got up involved with this...just did the school level competition for the experience never expecting to go farther. I was in the post-secondary competition but the high school and post sedondary are nearly identical in format. You'll arrive at least two days before your contest most likely....there is one day that is dedicated to informational meetings. You'll meet...
I've competed at the post-seconday level at the Kansas City competition after winning our State level contest(Culinary Arts). My schoolmate represented our state in the Baking competition the same year. What woudl you liek to know?
Hiya Phoebe Having spent most of my life very active in sunny climes before going there...the first couple years were a real shock. Like I mentioned it wasn't the rain itself as much as the grey and darkness. During winter it is not uncommon to have the streetlights on all day as it never gets bright enough for the sensors to kick them off. And the daylight hours are SHORT! But the summer is the payoff when you're still outside til 10:30 at night! You get...
Before moving to AZ I was in Seattle for nearly 10 years....had spent most f my life in CA before that. I never experienced any negativity in WA from being a Californian...sure people talked about the rising real estate costs and that the amount of people moving in to the state helping drive that(not to mention the phenomenon of hte Microsoft Millionaire) but I never experienced anythign personally directed at me. The Northwest is a wonderful part of the world. ...
I can't imagine thinking bottled tastes as good as making your own...but I'll never convince my husband to try making his own sauce on nights I'm at work...so I at least try to make sure the bottled ones I keep on hand taste edible...and if he's willing to saute a little calamari and throw it in bottled sauce i figure that's a step up from the frozen meal he'd pull out otherwise.... He, too, of course prefers nights when i'm home to make fresh pasta sauce! :lol:
Thanks for the feedback. the steak we had was very good....and much as Kobe is described. I'm sure it was Wagyu but was just curious if it was the legendary Japanese Kobe or what is being raised here in the States. Either way it was an excellent steak(and I'm not usually a steak eater). Seems like $60 for a 12oz Kobe, as part of a three course prix fix, is pretty inexpensive??
I usually keep a couple bottles of pasta sauce around. Like Suzanne I tend to doctor them but it's still handy to have them on hand....I really like the Muir Glen products mentioned. If you have a Trader Joe's near you they have some decent sauces. Two particular that we've liked are the Eggplant Siciliana sauce and the Organic Marinara. Also much less expenisve than most of the grocery store brands.
I'm curious.... My husband and I went out for Valentine's dinner Fri night. We went to Deseo a relatively new restaurant here in Phoenix that Douglas Rodriguez has attached his name to... They had a prix fixe menu for $60..four courses. One of the entree choices was Kobe sirloin. I was surpised to see this on a $60 prix fixe menu...I asked the server if it was really Japanese Kobe...she kind of made a funny face and said "yes". We weren't very impressed by the...
not many restaurants but you do have great olives in your part of the world! we always made the requisite Olive Pit stop when driving from WA to CA! :lol