or Connect

Posts by Devotay

In 1946, when President Truman signed the School Lunch Act, he said, “In the long view, no nation is healthier than its children, or more prosperous than its farmers.” If that was a statement of purpose rather than merely a rhetorical flourish, then the School Lunch Act has failed. Today in America we have steadily rising rates of childhood obesity, and if you were born after 2000, you have a startling one-in-three chance of developing early-onset diabetes. Meanwhile...
Hi all. Been away a long time - very busy writing and speaking and doing book tour stuff. The 1st book has been such a success the publisher has asked me to do a sequel. So I'm returning to ask y'all for more recommendations. ChefTalk board members were a big help in finding stories for A Cook's Journey, so I'm hoping that folks will once again chime in with names and places, food and farms all over the midwest. I seek people who "walk the walk" of Slow Food...
9 years of hard volunteer work for an organization that is trying to improve the food system.
I didn't know about your NZ connections, Kuan. Check you PMs for a question. Sounds as if your mom is exactly the type of folks Slow Food is working for. And at Slow Food Nation, we'll be rolling out a whole new membership structure that will make it far more accessible for everyone. Then again, folks don't need to actually join to participate. Order a CSA or shop at your farmers' market and you're already helping. Tell the produce manager at your store that you...
100,000+ dues-paying members worldwide. Countless more who are sympatico but don't bother to formally join. 200K at Salone every other year. 100K+ expected at Slow Food Nation. Maybe you don't "get caught up in" protecting the great food and food traditions of the world, but "many of us" do. And it is a valuable and worthwhile effort that is being conducted not just by Slow Food, but by Chef's Collaborative, Edible Communities, the Monterey Bay Seafood Watch,...
Phatch - You're right that it's the same issue. And I understand that since some ballplayers used steroids people assume all ballplayers do. We discussed back then that yes of course there are snobs that are members. And yes, Slow Food often throws big, elaborate dinners. We also have barbecues and do taste education workshops with jam or honey in elementary schools. We do a huge variety of activities, from the very small and local to the very large and global, to...
The March, 2008 issue of Metropolis focuses on the overarching idea of localism and its relationship to sustainability. It is, as always, a beautiful and well-written issue, but in it one particular columnist, Bruce Sterling, has taken Slow Food to task accusing us once again of that old canard, elitism. Now while it is true that the movement is often accused of such things, it is not an accurate accusation, nor is it always such a bad thing anyway. Bear in mind that...
I've a lot going on these days, as do we all, but I still poke my head in from time to time. Mostly looking for stuff on food periodicals these days, since I'm publishing one. But yeah, ChefTalk is among the originals, and still one of the best food bb's around. Just came across this FOBOH site, and it seems pretty cool, so i thought I'd point it out to everybody.
All of you are familiar with the social networking model in general, and perhaps the Gather.com model specifically. Well, I've found a site built like Gather that caters to restaurant professionals. It's called FOHBOH.com. If you're in the biz, you know the reference. For the rest of you, the abbreviations in the URL stand for "Front of House" and "Back of House" It operates much like Gather, points and all, but it's a lot newer. They have fewer members (around...
I always tip at least 15% - usually more - whether buffet or not, unless the service was quite bad AND it was clearly the server's fault (as opposed to the kitchen or the management). As a restaurant owner, I just believe it's good karma.