or Connect

Posts by Brianthecook

You cant stop it and should not try to. Its really none of your business what your employees say to each other unless they are talking about you. Dont be a **** or they will get fed up with you and quit in droves. Only solution would to put duct tape over everyones mouths. waiters are the worse. Ive mentioned something to someone and the next thing I knew the people 4 restaurants over knew about it. The realistic solution is to use your political skills and use spin...
Id hate to say it, and Id really hate to say it. It would probly sell very well. It hurts egos to do it in the first place. BUZZ WORDS. Pizza. Hamburgers. anything with cheese on it. It sucks, I know but it pays the bills. you have to have a couple of buzz word items on the menu for the rubes. The rubes are the people that order stupid stuff like this and then go and blow 50 to a 100 dollers on wine or drinks. The waiters know. They come back slinking to the kitchen and...
Pirates didnt really eat very good. thats why they steal stuff. Just do man type food. Big hunks of meat with a bone to grab and carry it around with you and big goblets of rum....... dont forget the rum.
The repair guy stops what he is doing if you watch him too close.
Does anyone know if there is a handyman book specifically for a professional kitchen. I want to learn stuff like how to make the oven doors tight and springy, Ice maker trouble-shooting, sink knob repair, and refrigeration repair. I want to achive the culinary tri-fecta, which is being able to cook, speak Spanish and fix broken things. It would look really impressive on a resume'. I kinda regret taking a culinary class at the vo-tech I went to, I already had it in me to...
What many chefs do not realize is that we are basically scientists. Too many times have I been in a kitchen and one of the chefs above me asked me to taste something and told them they needed to work a few things out in the method of the recipie and it would be a great dish. They usually just blow me off as an underling and go ahead and sell the first incarnation of the dish without striving to find ways to make it a better, more tested product. You have to test and...
If you cook the potatos in the micro they will get a gummy texture to them. Like everyone else is saying, bake your taters and use a ricer to give them a fluffy texture.
Ok let me break it down for you. When you get a lead position the hours are long and hard. You will spend most of that time in small hot confined spaces with macho aggressive opinionated mostly male cooks (think navy). Depending on which kitchen you work in roughly about one third to one half of the people you work with might not speak English as their first language. Drug use is high, divorce rates and relationship problems are high. You can bust your butt all night long...
I was just kidding man, but if you plan on moving to the America dont forget to learn Spanish.
Coming into a new job first and foremost you want to bring a pen and a notebook and when someone of importance tells you what to do WRITE IT DOWN. As for what I bring with me, I bring a 10 inch Sabatier knife, a boning knife, a Small bird beak garnish knife, a steel, a pen, a sharpie, a notebook, and a Microplane zester. This is all you need unless you are a baker, or a butcher. In a good kitchen everything else should be provided that you need to do your job. They might...