or Connect

Posts by izbnso

Karo is always the 'starting point'. In the South we tend to call things by a brand name even if the product we are referring to isn't actually that brand. Even though it isn't produced in the South it is the brand name we are familiar with. Hence you will find many people refer to all corn syrup (no matter the brand) as Karo Syrup. Or in modern times call from the grocery store on the cell phone to ask 'Do you need light Karo or dark?’ Only to bring home a different...
BDL, know much about eye liner do ya?;) I tend to agree with the others about this machine for bread slicing. As a collector of kitchen paraphernalia, if you want it…get it. However, I foresee frustration in connection to slicing bread on that machine. If you must bring motorization to your loaves… I’m sure this is going to be absolute heresy to the knife purists, but I have found that a $10 electric knife is great for bread slicing. I bought one about 5 years ago...
Petals, I’m going to take another stab at making the candied cranberries ala candied orange peel, but with a different recipe. I’ve come across a few recipes that use the oven, but I wanted something a bit more sparkly looking than I think an oven can provide. If I can ever locate my super nice camera that disappeared somewhere around the time my teenager began posting goofy pictures of herself on face book I’ll take some pics of the finished product.
BDL, Thanks for the love. The marshmallow has a cranberry puree in it. (I soften the gelatin in the puree instead of water and it is rather yummy) Once set, the marshmallows are covered in chocolate. And I’m looking for a good way to mark the otherwise identical chocolate coating so that no one is surprised when they bit into them. My kids have no problem sticking their finger in every chocolate in the box in an attempt to find the single one they are after, but I find...
I’m working on some items to take to the farmer’s market on Thursday. I’m doing an assortment of chocolate covered marshmallows. One of them will be made with a cranberry puree. In working out the “markings” I figured something like a candied cranberry would be good to distinguish it from its just vanilla and coconut counterparts. I made a test batch and they are tasty but not visually or texturally what I’m after. The recipe I used was essentially: 1 cup water to 1 cup...
Enough is enough when …..after four years of independent research in which I was the one who figured out that what was causing rampant health problems in my extended and nuclear family was a rare genetic disorder (thank you Google) and after two of those years spent trying to get into the right geneticist and after finally jumping through all the hoops to get the doctors to run the exact tests I asked for in the first place…the GP doctor doesn’t want to run the MRI to look...
Maybe this will help. Café Chocolada: Dobos Torte
Oldschool, About your camera happy neighbor. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you have a minor child at home. Is this idiot taking photos of your child in her own yard, with out your or her consent? In this day and age no official takes kindly to minor girls being photographed with out their permission. And quite frankly I’d be none too happy about my daughters being photographed like that. Thankfully harassment and stalking laws are getting stronger by the day. ...
I’ve looked and hunted all over the net trying to decide the best prices on everything. In the end most “good deals” are close enough to the same that the trick is to find one good source that has roughly competitive prices and consolidate so that you aren’t eat up by shipping. Global Sugar Art Cake Decorating Supplies and Gumpaste and rolled fondant Tools & Cutters , Gumpaste Flowers, Wilton Products, Fat Daddio's cake Pans. is where I finally settled. They have...
We have a history of anemia in our family, so iron has always been a big issue for us. Our doctors always told us to cook with soy sauce. There is a lot of information on the web about iron fortified soy sauce. I don’t know if all the soy sauce on the market today is iron fortified, but even when dinosaurs roamed the earth (when I was little) soy sauce (presumably unfortified) was something people predisposed to anemia were encouraged to add to their diets.