or Connect

Posts by Suzanne

BDL: remember that these are thick; you'll have to split or butterfly them and pound the **** out of them to use for schnitzel. :lol: My choices would allow you to serve 2 people with each chop: First, split each horizontally, then cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks OR without splitting, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Then: Marinate the pieces with cornstarch, sherry, soy sauce, then stir-fry with ginger, garlic, vegetables (broccoli, carrot, red and/or green bell...
I never thought of using parchment, maybe because my husband will eat anything green and leafy, even if it's been steamed to death. :lol: But sure, that makes sense, for the reasons Phil gives. Then again, if I were steaming the food on a plate in the steamer, I wouldn't bother lining it as well.
AFAIK, it's called . . . basting. :p Never heard it called anything else.
Barley can absorb an amazing amount of liquid, more than rice. So if you want to cook it via the absorption method -- that is, add the grain to boiling water, cover, and simmer until tender -- you need to use a ratio of 3:1 by volume (3 cups water to 1 cup barley). And if you add some to soup, add a lot less than you think you'll need, because otherwise you might end up with soup-flavored barley sludge. :eek: I love the chewy texture, and the flavor. I recently made...
Yes, it makes a difference -- it definitely adds more mushroom flavor. But I'm not sure that it would be "overpowering." That would depend on a lot of factors, including your palate first of all; how much flavor you expect versus how much you get; and what the other ingredients and flavors in the soup are. To me, it's not overpowering. But I usually only have a cup or two of mushroom soaking liquid in a several-quarts pot of soup. And if I'm using mushrooms in the first...
Mine did. I mashed them with a little salt and a lot of lime juice before freezing, and packed them as airtight as possible in plastic bags, but they still darkened. But so what? They still taste good, and if I add enough chopped cilantro, I still get something greenish. ;)
A friend who is writing a piece on dining clubs asks: "Are there any around still?" That's all she said, so I leave it to you to define and discuss. It would be helpful to know where you are, but if you would rather not indicate it publicly (right on the thread for anyone to see), you can always e-mail me. But do tell us something about yours if you are in one or know of one. Thanks! :D
It's always a good idea to clean them. You don't want, um, nasty stuff getting into the sauce. :p One thing that might help intensify the flavor is to sauté the crabs before you add them to the other ingredients. Break them up, sear the shells, maybe even flame them with a little brandy. This is pretty much SOP for lobster-based liquids, so I figure it would work well for crabs, too. But unless you can get crabs really really cheap, it seems a waste to use the meat...
All I know about her is that she was the chef at (now-closed) Centro Vinoteca, which was very well-reviewed and popular -- the only time I tried to go, it was packed with a couple-of-hours wait. What I remember is that all the reviews and comments talked about how terrific the fried stuff was. I had no idea no idea she was on TV -- but then, since I don't have one, how could I? :lol:
I usually use half all-purpose and half whole-wheat, both regular King Arthur. I like the flavor of whole-wheat baked goods, and it make me feel a little less guilty about the carbs. :p