or Connect

Posts by Luc_H

Where I come from (Montréal, Québec, Canada), we say Merry Christmas and happy new year 2015 like this: "Joyeux Noël et, Bonne et Heureuse année en 2015"   Little known fact: You can identify a Québecer that lives in your neighbourhood if his Christmas tree or outside lights have no colour pattern or is not colour coordinated i.e. they have random green, red, blue, white, yellow lights.   best wishes to all!   Luc H.
LOL!  @MikeLM and thanks on behalf of the Canucks of The Great White North!   Actually I believe singing the National Anthem is both languages is a Québec only thing.  I think (am almost sure) that is not the case for any other Canadian hockey team.   Joyeux Noël et Bonne & Heureuse année à tous en 2015!!!   Luc H.
During Montréal Canadians' games, the crowd is asked to stand and remove their hats. The American anthem is sung first by respect for the visiting team then the Canadian anthem which half is sung in French and English, second.   Luc H.
Milk is not shelf stable because it is only pasteurized which means that the heat/time applied kills 99.9% of pathogenic bacteria (in microbiology the is always uncertainty of large numbers) but not 99.9% of all microorganisms.Unopened milk may curdle after it's expiry date and may/will taste bad but it won't make you sick because all the pathogens are killed, only nuisance/souring microbes remain.  That is the purpose of pasteurization and why it is different than...
As with slow-cookers, I would never start with frozen meat for this technique.  It would mess the temp/time calculation. At the very least I would quickly bring the thawed meat to temp in warm/hot water then let it cool down to sous-vide temp. Luc H.
I understand that posts often fall on semantics with participants nick picking at correct wording which often spirals in rants and what not.  By pointing this out I may cause this effect but it is very important not to confuse these three words:Pasteurization means to kill all pathogens while leaving many microbes alive (sous vide will do this)Sanitization means to kill many microbes on a working surface (it's a numbers game, the surface is not sterile nor does it mean...
This reference suggest 134F or 56.5C for 48 to 72hres for sous-vide beef spareribs: http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm   (55C or 131F is the lowest I would go for this technique)   For this to work though, good sanitation practices is key.   Luc H.
I believe that your basic problem was bad sanitation. Understand that the lower the temperature the more difficult it is to kill (deactivate) yeast, mold and bacteria.  Flash boiling (par-boiling) to sanitize the surface of the meat then using sanitized tools and bag (as already suggested), not your hands, to manipulate the meat would have probably helped. The meat should not be punctured (introducing bacteria inside the meat) for this to work as well.   additional...
hi Deniagpam, do I interpret this part correctly that you add salt to the dough as you knead it or knead it into the dough?  Do you do the same with the sugar?If yes then crystal salt will in fact kill or deactivate your yeast.  You should dissolve the salt in your flour at the very least so it is well dispersed.  Crystal sugar will do something similar.You can activate the yeast rapidly if you completely dissolve 5g of sugar in the warm water then add your yeast and let...
 relaxing the flour mixture (dough) is a very good idea because it will even capture more bubbles tighter inside as the gluten and starch in the flour hydrate.  It's not like leaving soda water open to the air, the bubbles won't dissipate that much out of the batter after an hour.  Doughs hold air bubbles very well (think rising bread, cake, crêpe mixtures, etc...) Luc H.