or Connect

Posts by Luc_H

So their website is a classic example of a company that hides its ingredients.  No where on the site can I find the nutritional label or the ingredient statement.Reading through the FAQs (the French version), I found out that it's made mostly of Chicory fiber extract and polydextrose with other sweeteners like sucralose, stevia, erythritol, etc...http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2012/understanding-polydextrose/ This product contains glucose but in a fibre form....
I decided to check my facts this morning. I mistakenly said that only sucrose contain glucose when in fact so does lactose which a glucose-galactose disaccharide (I forgot that detail) so I am not entirely convinced now how diabetic safe this product actually is. It depends on how much lactose and sucrose is proportionally in the mixture and how much one consumes obviously.   as for calories, this product has as many calories as sugar for the same amount of...
I am a skeptic when it comes to food labelling and there are lot's of misinformation out there (especially with new products). I really dislike when a food company does not declare the ingredients on their website.  However this is not the case here but it's not good news.here is the ingredient statement: http://www.wheylow.com/Whey-Low-Granular-Natural-Sweetener-p/1028.htm It says that the product has 3 ingredients in order of importance: Fructose, lactose and sucrose...
Let me add a curve ball to this discussion. From an USA perspective, Native Americans (Indians or Aboriginals... I don't know which terms is politically correct) spoke their mother tongue and English but in Nouvelle France (i.e now Québec), Natives learned French.  Nouvelle France is older than the former colonies of what is now the United States of America.    Now this is the interesting part: Boeuf is French for Beef (a male cow). Now Beef comes the French word boeuf....
  How much of a difference would this salt make in a recipe?     Luc H.
Now that must be a very very nutritious food!!I would never had thought of that.  I used to fish for perch with my Grandpa (Fond memories). He taught me how to prepare them.  He would discard the roe though but If I do that again I would keep that. Great idea!Thanks Roe is densely packed with nutrition.  My lobster bisque requires 2 male and 2 female lobsters.  I use the roe from the females to colour the bisque. Luc H.
that depends of the function you want to replace.if you want to make solid candies for example: Xylitol, sorbitol and erythritol can do that.If you want sweet taste but don't mind calories the three above work but xylitol and sorbitol have calories while erythritol has none (or very little).If you're looking for intense sweetness without calories, without other sugar function, the list is long: Stevia, aspartame, saccharine, monk fruit extract, sucralose. Some of these...
Oh man!!! That's sweet... I mean savory! Luc H.
One pouch of gelatine is usually 7 to 8g so that recipe is asking for 2 pouches.   I think it is the intent of the recipe that the pie holds its shape (to eat cold) hence 2 pouches may seem excessive but intentional. The fat from the pork will prevent the gel from being too firm. (it should not come out as being like a gummy bear candy). There is also lots of liquid that will release from the pork in a sealed pie crust.   I share your concern that it appears excessive...
Thank you for adding that perspective.  There is something good out of this for individuals that are actually gluten intolerant. I did not think about that.Life is all about choices and in your condition, more good choices is just plain good.Luc H.