or Connect

Posts by Luc_H

if you added xanthan gum (found in health food stores) you can have add more water and it will still thicken.   Luc H.
vanilla is more heat resistant than one would expect for the main reason it is the result of a long fermentation (cooking) process.  The fermented vanilla bean pods are loaded with resin that are not very volatile and very heat stable. Their shelf life is also much longer than what manufacturers would let you believe. Vanillin, the main component that gives the distinctive taste of vanilla, has a boiling point of 285 C! (look no further than Wikipedia:...
as I suspected, this is a classic quatre quarts or pound cake. I will stick to my comments: moister than the original.  I don't anticipate any big change from the original recipe maybe a little extra tang from the sour cream.   by the way, adding cornstarch to all purpose is a substitute from cake flour so in essence your recipe is like using cake flour instead of all purpose flour.   Luc H.
If my memory serves me right, a quatre quarts cake is French for a Pound Cake (which is 4 ingredients of 1/4lb (quart de livre) each: egg, flour sugar and butter). (1/4lb = 150g approx)   You are using the metric system. This question is relevant then: cornstarch is sometimes called corn flour outside of North America.  Is your corn flour a white or yellow powder? if white (cornstarch), your cake crumb will be more moist with the added sourcream.  It will not be that...
gelatine is good to make shapes, as in cut into squares.  I assumed that is what you were going for by adding gelatin to your grape reduction.  If your looking for a collapsible gel,like a fruit filling, then grape jelly will work. Luc H.
HI JayCobb, The time-temperature duo is crucial in controlling microbes.  The surface in contact with the salt retards spoilage while the other side is expose to the elements.  The cedar plants won't really help prevent anything here and may even aggravate the situation since it may have spores on the surface.  If you have only one salt slab, I would turn it often in the beginning to cure both surfaces as quickly as possible then turn less over time.  My suggestion would...
Hi Sherman452,   There are no protein digesting enzymes in concord grape juice unlike in papaya or pineapple.  I do not think this is at play here.  I know I am coming from left field but according to many references acidity affects the gelation time and strength of gelatin.  According to the reference below, it appears that tartaric acid (the main acid in grapes) retards the gelation of...
AlexB, a little observations I have seen and some techniques: Pectin works better in an acidic environment with low heat (simmer) and the longer, the better.  If you know your tomatoes will not cook down to a thick sauce (because you tried it already), add your lemon juice in the beginning before cooking down.  Very ripe juicy end of season tomatoes tend to be sweeter rather than acidic. (afterall the tomato is a fruit). My suggestion: add the juice of 1/2 a lemon per Kg...
Not all tomatoes (varieties) will respond to being cooked down to a sauce/paste as RapidanGardner has experienced first hand. Commercial sauces are usually made from commercial tomato hybrids which are selected for their end use i.e.sauce making, ketchup, salsa, etc... (often without requiring any additives to thicken or texture).  Commercial sauces often have an advantage over homemade because of the tomatoes they use and, that works for them because that's what the...
Nice to see an old post is still serving its purpose i.e. to help, share and give insight.   Thanks!   Luc H.