or Connect

Posts by Luc_H

Read this way (out of context) is why I commented.Sorry if I appeared to come down too strong on my end. It was not my intention. Luc H.
Too bad your purchase did not work.   Maybe I didn't give you enough details but this bi-metal thermostat would do the trick... and real cheap.  The specs says it goes from 40 to 120F.  If it doesn't reach the temp you want, you can bend the metal to increase the temp range. As for the wiring, the thermostat basically breaks the 120v circuit that connects a 100w lightbuld (or IR...
Interesting article.  It seems everything we thought was bad for health one time becomes good another time.   Definitely the worst statement from a scientist studying the microfora I heard is “I didn’t expect to find anything in the cheese that would change the microflora.”.  EVERY single food we eat affects the microflora i.e. you are what you eat.   Thanks for sharing! Luc H.
how can salt make a dough flat? well beaten egg whites should help with leavening (somewhat).   I agree that 1/4 tsp of baking pwd is low however biscotti is supposed to be barely leavened.  It's the ancestor of the French biscuit (or cookie).  Biscotti and biscuit means twice baked in their respective languages. It's supposed to be hard for long storage.   The ATK recipe is quite authentic because it barely leavens the dough and makes a though hard cookie to dunk in...
Sumac makes a great lemonade in the summer! The acidic quality is nice with fish. lavender to make herbs de Provence for ratatouille Cattail (catstail) hearts   I always grin when I hear or read dandelion which is a phonetic spelling of an English pronunciation of the French words "dent de lion" i.e. Lion's tooth.     Luc H.
My real concern for you is if any wild culture you may create gets contaminated by Aspergillus flavus a toxin (aflatoxin) making cousin of Aspergillus oryzea (or another toxic microbes).  Making wild fungal cultures is difficult to get right without microbiology equipment to identify and weed out risky microbes. Historically (probably) many people fell ill or died after consuming fermented legumes (miso and the like) because of toxin making strains contaminating the brew....
when saying you wanted to make your own Koji, I thought your intent was to make/create your own wild culture of Aspergillus oryzea. If your intention is to inoculate your Koji using tane koji powder then that is a safer project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_oryzae   Good luck! Luc H.
To be clear I have not made my own miso (yet).  Any fermentation is of interest to me and I have read about this subject. From what I gather making your own Koji is not straightforward i.e. coaxing the right microorganism to strive is not easy without microbiology equipment or risky trial and error.  I would suggest purchasing koji and propagate it at home.   there are many references for miso on the web.  I found this one...
Quote:Those are wise words.When it comes to regulations, thorough research is imperative and getting advise from a forum is in fact silly.Luc H.
to answer the original question of why commercial jams and jellies are high in sugar is because there is a Standard of Identity according to food regulations: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=150.160 USA regulation: 21CFR150.160 excerpt: (1) The mixture referred to in paragraph (a) of this section shall be composed of not less than: (i) In the case of a fruit ingredient consisting of a Group I fruit or a permitted combination...