or Connect

Posts by Luc_H

Hi Koukouvagia, I love cooking with cast iron. There's nothing like using a well seasoned pan. My technique: I never wash the pan with soap and water. Usually, just wipe clean with a paper towel is enough.  High protein foods like steak will leave a residue that cannot be wiped off though.  Get yourself a non-metallic brush (I get mine at an Asian supply store for cleaning woks).  When food sticks to the pan, add water, heat on burner until the water boils and...
Hey Shel,   Milk proteins have the ability to bind iron (some of it as lactoferrin).  I have always thought that soaking liver in milk reduced the metallic taste of the liver by removing unbound iron. other metals also bind to milk like copper and zinc so it is not a stretch to think that toxic heavy metals could also be bound by milk proteins hence the notion of detoxifying the liver.   Luc H.
phatch is right, Dark soy goes along way! if you look at the ingredients, caramel colour is often in the top ingredients.  Caramel colour is in fact chemically caramelized sugar.  If you can get your hands on the caramel colour, that will work without adding any flavour. It is an industrial food chemical.  This company makes it:http://www.sethness.com/?gclid=COa1neeLwaoCFcPBKgodmAxO7g If you read ingredients you will see that this stuff is everywhere: cola, fondants,...
Hello qed5, Some insightful corrections to your explanation: Some people cannot digest lactose because they lost the ability to manufacture lactase (a digestive enzyme) after childhood (like all mammals do except humans). Humans never have the enzymes to digest non-glucose polymer chains like oligosaccharides which are often composed of other saccharides like fructose, galactose, etc..  Oligosaccharides are digested by gut microflora only and flatulence occurs or not...
Ever since I started graduate studies, I have been amazed by what a bunch of intelligent people can come up by collaborating. I wonder if by collaborating we can predict the source on the E. Coli contamination:   Let me start some ideas: Escherichia coli is a fecal bacterium.  (fecal coliform) can live with or without oxygen (anaerobic facultative) Lives in warm blooded animals. Mostly mammalian animals but also birds. Does not live long outside the...
It now appears that the outbreak was caused by bean sprouts from a German farm (not from Spain).   E, Coli is never found vegetables unless it is punctured.  Usually peeling vegetables is sufficient to drastically reduce the amount of bacteria on the surface. Plant peels control the water on their surface that prevent bacterial growth.  That is the same as our skin where bacteria do not grow easily but when we cut our skin that barrier is broken.   This...
The price of any salt other than regular iodized or Kosher.  Any other salt is basically 1% dirt with 99% sodium chloride. Luc H.
Results from Brittany SeaSalt (verbatim) reference link: Facts/ Composition GUERANDE SEA SALT ANALYSIS for Brittany Sea Salt Chemical Analysis of Coarse Salt (4mm) Results Water insoluble 0.70 % Moisture content at 110 C 10.34 % Chlorides 85.37 %NaCl Sodium Chloride dry 95.2 % Sulfates 1.26 % Calcium total (Ca) 0.25 % Magnesium total (Mg) 0.37 % Potassium total (K) 0.09 % Sodium total (Na) 32.90 % Copper(Cu) .0300 ppm Manganese total...
KYH, We are both on the same page! You crossed t's and dotted i's. I always value your opinion. Let's push the process on how to make fleur the sel. Just checking here.... do they rake out the salt crystals from the liquid sea brine or from the crusty dried up bottom once all the water has evaporated away? Maybe this is not quite the technique (I really do not know the details of the operation on how that is made in Brittany but my chemical insight says there is a...
Gonefishing (Dan), you truly made me Laugh Out Loud (lol) with that last remark. HEHEHE. Luc H.