or Connect

Posts by YoungGun

Thanks for the replies, everyone. ChefHow, I think you read what I was saying very differently than how I intended. I definitely didn't get in this business for a love of money; infact I left my advertising degree to pursue it. I'm not naive, I'm well aware of the challenges facing the industry, and I don't think I'm above it. I wrote this to ask for some possible solutions, and to find out scources of finacial depletion that i don't know about. Thank you for your...
Hello Chefs, After yet more months of steadily toiling away at a few different culinary positions, I'm left wondering why I'm still broke...and why I'll probably be that way for a while. Does the current and seemingly un-vacillating state of culinary economics baffle anybody else? A week ago, I actually got laid off. At 22, this is something that I didn't think could touch me. I live in Vancouver, BC, a city starved for culinary workers as we near the 2010 Olympics. I...
Joe, I suppose I can safely assume that your post is a derivative of my original one, Meat and Ethics. Perhaps I am wrong. Either way, the reason I have an "easier" time eating fish and seafood is because I live in British Columbia, where sea food is very abundant, and I refuse to eat anything but wild caught fish. This sort of lines up with my desire to eat game meats as opposed to, say, a cow that has been raised in a factory farming operation. Simiarly, I eat free...
I used to live in Connecticut and work for a private chef's operation, and I know I might never make more than I did then, at the age of 19. (How sad.) However, I'm still 100% satisfied with making $12-$15/hr as a line cook here in Vancouver, BC. I know, though, when I apply for a fine dining place, I'll be taking a big pay cut. And that's fine-I see the learning as having value as well. But if I was honestly working for 20 years, I'd never take a prep position, and...
It is, unfortunately, slightly ridiculous to think that you'd secure a personal chef position for anyone worth working for (ie: someone who will encourage your creativity and compensate you accordingly) without some serious restaurant experience and the resume to back it up. If it's bistro work you're seeking, apply at one. Find the best bistro in town and ask if you can wash dishes or maybe do some prep. You absolutely need to get into the kitchen to see if you could...
I really look up to Gordon Ramsay for his work ethic. The man works so bloody hard, it's almost unbelievable. But if his standards are slipping, or if he's in over his head with the Union at the London, I'm not sure he'd have the perspective to step back and work things out rather than just bust on, balls-to-the-wall. Because of this, I think that Ramsay, inspite of his entrepreneurial prowess, falls a bit short of chefs that will go down in the records as being truly...
Hi All, First let me say I am aware of the culinary schools/students forum and I have posted on the same topic there, no responses yet. I'm looking to decide between George Brown, Humber, and Stratford, all in Ontario. I need some advice from the Pros regarding the good and bad qualities of these schools. So far I have: George Brown: +Location +Cost +Reputation -"Under-Prepared" -No credit towards Red Seal Humber: +Location +Cost +Abroad Program +Quality -No...
I think that what's been forgotten is that chefs are artists, and every artist has a different way of expressing themselves. Perhaps Irvine's quiet, no PR style of "real" cooking is how he's most comfotable. To compare him to Gordon Ramsay's balls-to-the-wall, flashy style is like comparing apples and oranges. Can you compare Picasso to van Gogh? Of course, but you would never come to a consensus because their art was individually fantastic. Ramsay has strength enough to...
I really appreciate the debate surrounding this topic- it reaffirms my belief that chefs and cooks are much more than just culinary artists-we pioneer what sustains the entire human race. I'm pleased to read the numerous comments regarding sustainable agrictulture. I firmly believe that (somehwat ironically) organics and sustainables are a top-down industry. Lots of people in North America especially are not educated at all as to what's going in their bodies, and the...
I think that really emphasizing with the servers is absolutely crucial if you have a serious allergy. In this industry, we see alot of people that just dislike something, and will claim they have an allergy. This "cry wolf" mechanism patrons tend to use makes the servers and the kitchen staff extremely casual in some places. Just the other day I ordered a chicken dish and got several pieces of calamari. I don't have any real food allergies, but this could have been...