or Connect

Posts by cakegrl

Then don't. Have a sit down with your bride to be and figure out what your priorities are for cake, discuss a realistic budget and then search for a cake that fits in it. There are options out there if cake is not that important to you, but the price is affected by a lot more than just the flour and sugar, you're paying for experience, talent, and quality. And just like it was mentioned "you get what you pay for". I know I haven't been here for ages, but it's funny I...
To add another POV here, I read your statement heartsease to mean that some or most of the decorators the poster might find on those two sites use mixes, not that all cake decorators/artists do. findingmoxie: I suggest you also look at some bride forums and specifically look for a geographic listing and in your area post the same questions, e.g., the knot has local boards where you can probably get about a dozen or so brides in your area to answer with several options...
I love Magic Line pans!
foodsnob - that is the recipe I use and I use it a LOT, I make it in batches up to 8 at a time in my 20QT Hobart depending on how much I'll need any given week. My favorite additional flavorings to add are cheesecake and butter rum. i've tried the Satin Ice and will use it for red and black pre colored, but that's about it; my reputation is partially that "her fondant tastes good" so while I'm tempted to switch to pre made, I just can't do it! I do mostly fondant...
I've lurked in the past, got busy and side tracked, and now find myself back again to hopefully become part of this great community. I'll mostly be around in the pastry areas trying to soak up as much as I can and maybe even be able to contribute once in awhile. For lack of a better word...I am self trained and own a small high end cake shop and struggle every day with the business side of the business. I guess that's it in a nut shell. Glad to be here!