or Connect

Posts by durangojo

Where do i find either xanthun gum, soy lecithin or guar gum? The health food store's bulk section?.....i have looked all over bob's red mill section in the grocery stores and come up empty handed. Is the powder added directly to the dressing or is it diluted first? I make all the restaurants dressings by the gallon, three of which are vinaigrettes. New dressing is a lemon vinaigrette which separates fairly quickly. we keep it an a squeeze bottle and just re shake it...
@mimi....sounds good, but not quite packed down like brown sugar...just loose but full....i just chopped up a whole bag of prunes and called it good...think it was the 9 oz size. @chicago terry...i bought this perfect little nutmeg grater in the caribbean years ago.....every household and restaurant there has at least one. It's a great little tool and a whole lot quieter than a spice grinder! Without a doubt you could find one in one of your many great markets. Even has...
Thanks so much Kgirl for posting the recipe for me....i was meaning to post it but have found myself neck up in gators lately with the restaurant opening and it got pushed to the back burner.....my bad. Fyi...it is essential to let the cake sit overnight with the glaze soaking in....the photo i have is not great(middle sunken in) but i will gladly share it if it helps....the sunken ness didn't affect the flavor at all! The dash of five spice powder and the triple sec are...
As far as amounts go, shrimp on a buffet is like crack, bacon wrapped shrimp on a buffet is a speedball and everyone's an addict! Unsupervised, it could be suicide! What does your shrimp budget allow for, $1000.00? I would allow 2 1/2 -3 pp and definitely have someone serving it. I soo urge you to have staff serving all the mains on the buffet for many reasons....numero uno being portion control, then ease, smoothness and efficiency of feeding a lot of guests...
I agree with using a 16/20 sized shrimp. You will make yourself insane wrapping 450 smaller sized shrimp...the cost is not that much more for the 16/20....at least not wholesale. I actually don't consider 31/35 to be large shrimp...to me they are medium. I also think that the shrimp will be overcooked before the bacon is done if using a smaller shrimp. Make sure that your bacon is very cold when wrapping the shrimp...it tends to pull apart when it gets too warm and almost...
@ Kgirl.....thanks....I'll take that recipe whenever you're up to it. hope you're over the hump and on your way back from 'the other side'. Solids yet? or is that tmi? As you know, it's essential to keep hydrated, more so because of where you live in the middle of the desert. So,drink up...water,soup,electrolytes, lots of broth....miso is magical. joey
' The Rookie' It's his first day...in a year he will be ready to save lives as a disaster rescue dog. joey
A few nights.... Grilled teriyaki chicken wings with spicy peanut sauce....i like my wings charred! Of course there were small bowls of the peanut sauce for dipping... I am truly a sucker when it comes to good chicken wings. . Southwest spiced seafood cakes(mexican shrimp, lump crabmeat) with tomato avocado lime relish, roasted butternut squash and leftover tex mex rice.
Perhaps i misread, but i didn't get the impression that there would be a buffet set up...more that there would be platters and trays set up in various places around the room(s). my mistake..... joey
Ah yes, a spoon. Bear with this slightly twisted but plausible scenario...first guest steps up...Spoon goes from bowl to palm.....nuts get eaten out of palm with fingers from other hand, repeatedly going from fingers to mouth. Spoon gets put back in bowl...next guest puts spoonful of nuts in palm and eats with fingers of other hand. Spoon goes back into the bowl for next guest and so on....so far so good until first guest comes back for more nuts....puts spoon in palm that...