or Connect

Posts by kuan

How does one become the executive chef without working knowledge of pastry?  Unless you are an avant garde cutting edge restaurant doing pastry is much like being a saucier, only with a steadier hand and a more careful attitude.  If any of your desserts are built up using traditional methods the chef should be able to figure it out.
Restaurant experience teaches you to tricks of the trade.  There are short cuts to frenching a rack of lamb, short cuts to peeling potatoes, and quick ways to make puff pastry.  You also get a chance to find your style, your strong points, and your personal work and organizational strengths.
You know it is just practice. :)   I can help you out but you might end up cooking like me.
What is the recipe for your glaze?   Also, sometimes (a lot of times) people use nuts or chocolate shavings to cover the problem areas, especially the bottoms and edges.
I just thought of this.  Hibiki.  :)
You need to manage the party so people will grill their own or you need to hand off the duties to someone else after a half hour or so.  Rotate grill duty between 3-4 people.
Matsutake mushrooms maybe?
Haters.  It is not where you work, it is how you do it.  Working at Applebee's and doing it well is just as difficult as working at Fat Duck.  It's just a different set of skills.  Your opinion matters less, and the more you start to lead the more it matters.
Somebody needs to come over and fire the veg.
Watching that video makes me think traditional European knife techniques are really crude.