or Connect

Posts by Coregonus

IMHO, good sushi chef actually doing us a favor using flash-frozen fish. Certain kinds are trully infested plus it stays fresher inside - trained chefs are butchering each fillet anyway looking for right texture and toss away huge part of surrounding flesh, including those parts damaged by freezing. Also, if you make inquire, most sushi-grade fish fly away from reputable markets, like Tsukiji, being deep-frozen. That chef probably didn't want to freeze it again but I'm not...
There is an interesting way to slow-cook duck in Europe. Whole duck (extra fat removed, skin pierced, marinated in white wine with honey and aromatics) goes into oval dutch oven with lots of quartered skin-on Granny Smith apples all over it and cooks inside at 250-275, covered, for 2-3 hrs. Bird, basically, starts to roasts dry, but melted fat mixed with released apple juice makes it alike to confit method. You'll never achieve all-around crispy skin that way but it forms...
I'm glad I had my chance to work with fresh Opakapaka few times, makes great ceviche. To avoid tough and dry product, I'd cook it with moist heat. Otherwise, it could lose moisture being frozen by any methode other than flash-freeze or defrozen too fast. If I get it right, you bought it fresh and got it frozen at your place? If your freezer works much slower than Flash, that might be the reason. Proteins, that had been frozen slowly, tend to form larger ice cristals which...
Folllowing the thread (and enjoying it) I spotted Henckels Ad popping up on new page sometimes. That brings my memories back.. Henckels were predominant by number at most kitchen I've seen as well as on Ebay recently. Chefs most often suggested them to students and starters. You could leave them behind and nobody would steal them because everybody around had them already :lol: They did pretty good job too. Now I wonder if anybody else noticed steel imperfections in knifes...
It wouldn't brown so fast if you cut off air access. I don't mean individual wrapping :crazy: but try to seal whole bunch around as tight as possible. Same with salad topped with avocado or guacamole - don't just cover bowl, drop plastic wrap on salad, pressing slightly.
High carbons should be able to maintain fine edge - 15-18 degrees. To get there you need to put knives thru at least 3-4 different grit, finishing at 1000-3000. Best for dollar are whetstones or aluminium oxide. Make sure you use proper oil too (food grade). Here are few links, you'll be able to find something nice for about $100 Products Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com japanese-knife.com The Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European...
Now he has 2 stars and that's the best answer. Even 10 stars from Times couldn't do same justice. Here is update that came in yesterday: NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tom Colicchio of "Top Chef" fame lost a Michelin star at his New York restaurant Craft, while British celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay gained a rare two stars for his first U.S. venture. Ramsay's year-old restaurant, Gordon Ramsay at The London, won praise for "consistency in cuisine and service," Michelin Guide...
Here is an update I picked from yesterday's news. I hope it helps. NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tom Colicchio of "Top Chef" fame lost a Michelin star at his New York restaurant Craft, while British celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay gained a rare two stars for his first U.S. venture. Ramsay's year-old restaurant, Gordon Ramsay at The London, won praise for "consistency in cuisine and service," Michelin Guide director Jean-Luc Naret told Reuters on Monday. "Gordon Ramsay deserved two...
I completely support forementioned pig's "genetisist" opinion regarding marbeling. However, Tamworth is bacon-oriented breed. Berkshire (Kurobuta) bread beats it 100% being butchered right for a-la-cart and portioned. For future consideration, ther is a helpful link as follows: Breeds of Livestock - Swine Breeds
Pardone me, is it the other way to spell "borsht"? :D C