or Connect

Posts by Pattycake2007

Immediate opening for an experienced Pastry Chef for our fine chocolate and pastry shop in the world renowned ski resort of Telluride, Colorado. This is a year around, full time position and a dream position for the right person. Flexible hours allow you to take advantage of Telluride's extensive outdoor activities. It is one of the most beautiful places on the earth. Telluride Truffle is a small artisan chocolate company making fresh, no preservative chocolates for...
I drop off a cake box when I deliver the wedding cake. Then I tell them to put the cake in the refrigerator so that the icing hardens. Then wrap in saran wrap at least three times. Then wrap in tin foil. That usually keeps the cake relatively protected. When they are ready to eat it, I tell them to take off all of the wrapping while the cake is still frozen so that the icing does not come off with it.
I don't think a contract is that important or necessary. Basically, he will continue buying your deserts until he doesn't want them anymore. What IS vitally important is that you buy business insurance so that you are protected if, God forbid, someone is hurt by eating one of your pies. Chances are that will never happen, but a million dollars worth of insurance is relatively inexpensive - usually around $400 a year. And, most restaurants require that you have such...
Durango Jo, Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - I got BUSY. Easter and spring break at the same time. But in answer to your question about what my shop is called - it's Telluride Truffle. Come by and see us when you come up. I'm at the Farmer's Market every Friday and Sunday we're closed.
Hey Durango Joe, I own a chocolate/pastry company in Telluride - right up the road from Durango and also at 10,000 feet and have baked up here for 14 years so these are my suggestions. All kinds of cakes I've had plenty of trouble with up here until I adjusted the recipee. However, I've never had trouble with flourless cakes at altitude except when I did them in a convection oven. Are you baking the cake in a convection oven? Also, check the temp on your oven -...
In this business there are always chefs who are tirants. This is unprofessional and childlike behavior - but it exists. The bottom line for you is - you can either stay there and ignore him or you can seriously think of moving to another area where many more opportunities exist. But to do a power strugle with him is a waste of time. Your wage is low, but maybe not for the cost of living in your area. I would suggest you begin applying for jobs outside of your area....
Get really hot water and them soak them in Oxiclean. However, regarding bleach, my chef coats have red lettering on them and I bleach them without a problem. Maybe, if Oxi clean doesnt work, try your worst one in bleach first and see if it works to bleach it.
I have made fondant for years without a problem. However, I made large wedding cake and had alot of problems with the fondant. It just had NO elasticity. Broke like tough pie dough. I have a post on the proftessional pastry chefs forum about this problem and am waiting for replies. Now that I saw this though - it may have been the crisco!
Hi, Thought I would introduce myself. I have owned a fine artisan chocolate shop in Telluride, Colorado which I began 10 years ago. Now I am busy marketing the product and I have a full time chef who makes the chocolates but I did it by myself for MANY years. Before beginning this business I assisted chefs in NYC at cooking schools to get some training. I then moved here and began working at a 4 star hotel and learned ALOT working under some very fine pastry chefs. ...
I own a fine chocoalte shop and was a pastry chef before this. I have an undergraduate degree in teaching - no culinary degree. I can't stress this enough - get experience - grunt work level and work your way up. You learn alot more this way and it doesn't cost you anything. You may not make alot of money, but you won't be spending 40-50,000 either. Give me someone who has worked in the industry for years without a culinary degree before someone fresh out of school. The...