or Connect

Posts by LotusCakeStudio

*chiming in a bit late* I love MySpace. I've found a TON of old friends who I never thought I would talk to again. And it's a great way to keep in touch with people. I was never very good with keeping in touch with my cousins, but MySpace made it easier. Eventually I had to make a separate profile just for my cakes and keep my personal profile private. A restaurant I used to supply used to lie to customers about who made the cakes and say it was one of their...
Hey Jeff! Good work! I just took the same class a few weeks ago when he was here in Philly! I still have to upload my pics. I had been very, very sick up until the day before classes started so I wasn't used to walking, much less being on my feet for 8 hours. It came through in my work and my fish and snowman have depressed faces on them. Looking back, I think it's kinda funny. Hehehe.
I'm going to a chocolate class with Albert Uster's Corporate Pastry Chef on Monday. I'll ask him about this and get back to you.
Can you give me examples of the kind of ingredients you commonly use in the classroom? I ask this because a young friend of mine who's like a little sister to me is in the pastry program at the Art Institute... she's been telling me what she's learning in class and last night's conversation sent me into a RAGE. She is paying $15k to learn how to make "cheesecake" made with hi-ratio shortening and bakers cheese instead of cream cheese! I almost choked! Not to mention,...
It appears that the problem is SOLVED! I tried every combination of what could be contributing to the problem and I am very happy with what came out of the oven 30 minutes ago. I used lot less lemon juice (2/3 less) and to compensate, added even more lemon zest and a small amount of lemon oil. I also further reduced the baking powder to the point where there's less than half of what the original called for. Then I remembered when I first made this cake- I used to whisk...
That sounds yummy. I'm going to try that.
I would give a follow-up call. When I worked in pastry at Whole Foods, we would hire as a team and applicants who made a follow up call won points, as well as people who took the time to get to know our product. One of our trick questions was, "Do you shop in our bakery? Oh you have? So what's your favorite item?" Anyhow, personally, before I worked for myself, I would wait 2 - 3 days then do a follow-up and ask if the position has been filled or what the status was...
Almost missed your post! I'm using a vegan egg replacer. It actually works surprisingly well once you get to know it (the suggested ratios are worthless). I did toy with mixing times and nothing seems to work. Hmmm... excessive water... even though the amount of liquid in it never affected it before, who the heck knows what's going on with this recipe so I will also try reducing the liquid a bit. Thank you for your input.
Hi Jeff, This recipe is based off of another recipe and it called for APF. I tried to use cake flour and it never turned out. I used to use pastry flour, but I'm not able to get it unbleached/unbromated white pastry flour anymore without ordering several 50# bags or paying too much for postage. Also, I did try the paddle, but the cakes weren't baking right. Maybe I will try the paddle at least for the lemon cake. The whip works well for the other flavors. Thanks...
Opps, forgot all about this! I made it once and reduced the baking powder and it helped A LOT. The layers weren't as high as they used to be, but the texture was like old times and at least it didn't turn into a flat piece of rubber. I'm still going to play around with it and see if I can get it back to how it used to be. If nothing works, I'll just make more batter for taller cakes.