or Connect

Posts by LotusCakeStudio

I used to use shortening based icing for practice. I would just scrape it off and keep using it over and over. Cream 1 cup of shortening with 1 pound of 10x and add a couple of teaspoons of water until you get the consistency you need. I practiced decorating both on cakes and on the counter top. When I was too lazy to bake a cake from scratch, I stocked up on Duncan Hines when it went on sale, threw a batch together and had my practice cake ready to go. I've heard...
I agree that for someone getting started, the Wilton set of cutters can't be beat for price. It's still only $20 for all those cutters and the instruction book. If you lose interest, then you're only out $20. The downside is that it's frustrating to work with such poor quality cutters. Their modeling tools also have such annoying seams that even filing couldn't help. If this is something you want ot get into, it's worth it to invest in quality cutters and tools. You...
I have an issue of Pastry Art & Design that has an article with Colette Peters. She said herself that when she broke it down, she makes $25/hour. This article was written in 1999 so I'm sure (I hope!) she is making more by now. But still... considering who she is and what she can do, $25/hour for 1999 is depressing.
Wow Momo! To me, that's a lot of money! Even Colette Peters only makes $25/hour. But if you can get it, woo hoo! For airbrushed Sam's Club/Costco/Price Club type of work, those decorators get between $12 - $14 an hour and strangely enough, supermarket decorators get slightly less, and more gourmet grocery stores and even fine dining restaurant decorators get even less than that. When I worked in a fine dining restaurant/caterer, I think the pastry chef there who also...
I can' t think of any names right now, but Upper Crust" has been used several times and so has "The Cakery", "The Neighborhood Bakery", and "Sweet Indulgence", just to name a few.
Shimmer, I totally know what you're talking about. I'm a culinary school graduate and even I can't stand some of us. I worked in pastry for 18 months before I went to school and I know that is what helped me not fall into the know-it-all trap. It's very true: the more humble you are, the more you'll learn. It also prevents you from looking like a complete *** when you do something wrong. ;)