or Connect

Posts by buonaboy

Hanging out here in Santa Fe this winter, it's Snowboarding, Snowboarding, Snowboarding -it's actually a little embarrassing when someone on the lift shouts "hey Chef" , and they all know I've got the best picnic basket on the mountain. -besides that, My 2 year old daughter, Pilar, is the light of my life and the '76 BMW 2002 is coming along nicely.
This is a scam right? c'mon, $20,000 for two weeks of work -you could have almost any chef in the country. sure, I'll do it -let me guess you need my account number to transfer the funds?
It's refreshing to find out the recipe I've always known for "marinara" is right in line with the original, I was taught it in Tuscany and use it on its own or as the base for many pan-sauces (puttanesca, napolitana, ect) It is just simply: A generous amount of CRUSHED fresh garlic, lightly simmered for about 10 minutes with an equally generous amount of olive oil. Do Not Brown! Add a few handfuls of torn fresh basil to the pot along with a few cups of water,...
You can call yourself a "chef" when you successfully run a kitchen, you may have to attach "sous" to it, but chef none the less. I'll try and prove a point here: Am I a Chef?, -my toque says CDC, I work the line every night and write just about all the recipes -twenty years in the industry -opened 4 restaurants (not all my own), working on the 5th -two trips working in Italy with Master Chefs -not one hour of formal culinary school training, ****, I didn't even...
Its a general misconception that Italian pasta sauces are either cream or tomato based, Maybe in American-Italian food, but true Italian cuisine has a vast amount of pasta preparations that use neither. You would be surprised how useful a liaison pasta water can be, it's full of starch. -fresh gnocchi tossed in crumbled gorgonzola, butter and pasta water will yield a sauce so creamy you'd swear it has cream in it, but no. and to back up earlier posts:...
to me it all depends on the finished product you wish to achieve, browning your onions and fennel will give you that caramelized flavor -but it can also turn your risotto a murky-grey-beige color, now if it's, say, a mushroom risotto thats fine, -but a seafood risotto should be pristine and white (or golden saffron color)
All of these topics have been touched on, but without the science I can tell you this in all honesty. I've been cooking for twenty years, and trained in Italy 1. Superior risotto MUST be made to order, I've tried every method of "par " cooking it in the past, but, no comparison. 2. Quality of Arborio matters. 3. I have seen risotto cooked both ways and, in my opinion (and most Italians I know) constant stirring and the right amount of liquid produces a risotto...
No pancetta in puttanesca! If you want a spicy pancetta sauce try "amatriciana" -the savory and sweet spices of good pancetta will get lost in all the briny goodness of your puttanesca. A french chef looks at a dish and thinks about what he can add to make it better, An Italian Chef looks at the same dish and thinks about what he can take away. but the real question is what type of pasta?
Actually, that place has been around for over ten years and still remains one of the best Restaurants in Seattle. Clearly, I've never been a Chef for a hotel group or any other type of corporate gig. I've been a Chef/Owner at small places (30 -50 seats), and mostly always worked at small-boutique-ish, upper-end places. So I'm sure I have no idea the hardships it must bring to merely have 12 burners, two fryers, tilt skillets, steam kettles, a bank of ovens and...
In twenty years, the countless forearm scars, the fact that the entire tip of my left index finger is by now completely scar tissue, (lost is so many times) and the second degree burn that covered my whole chest from a pot of beans when I was 17, are all nothing compared to the friends I've had who lost their Wives, fell into drug or alcohol abuse, or even lost their life savings in this industry. sorry to be a debbie downer. -but I still love this work.