or Connect

Posts by rjhunt

Thanks for the info. Didn't know if it was a published recipe or a Kyle original. Do you wet your hands when you work with the blob turning? I've had more success by wetting my hands than by flouring them. Just curious what you do. becca
Kyle, is your recipe listed on the website? I missed it if it is. becca
Great photos! You've certainly captured the essence of ciabatta! I don't think I can add anything to what you have done. Excellent job. becca
I use a sourdough starter that a friend gave me a few years ago. I've completed making the bread, with photos of all the steps. I'll work on editing the photos and instructions, and will get it uploaded in the next day or so. We're in the process of packing up our house for a move from CA to WA, so I'm not as quick as usual. More info soon. becca
According to America's Test Kitchen and my own experience, you want a metal nonstick loaf pan for baking bread. The glass pyrex is most likely the culprit of your light bread bottom. becca
I can do this over the next couple of days. I have a digital camera. I'll start the process later today. Do you start with a sourdough starter? becca
I've had great experiences with ciabatta made using a Nancy Silverton recipe. One thing, to get the lovely large holes, make sure your dough is on the wet side. The dryer it is, the smaller the holes. Also, you can lightly moisten the top of the loaf prior to baking. This will help it expand in the oven. I LOVE ciabatta! Now I'm going to need to make some! :D becca
Unless you are willing to hire an attorney and actively pursue people using your photos, there is no point in paying for copyright. Lawyers and lawsuits can cost you dearly. It's a major pain in the butt that people lift the work of others. You do beautiful work. Reality is people can lift your photos, but hey, make it impossible for them to duplicate your quality! I was married over 3 years ago. People STILL remark about how delicious the wedding cake was. It...
Paul, A rustic tart is a free form tart or galette. It isn't baked in a pie pan, but rather on a baking sheet (preferrably lined with parchment in case it leaks). The dough needs to be slightly sturdier as it is required to hold form over filling without the benefit of pan support for the sides. Jacques Pepin does a very nice rustic tart, filled with apples, in "Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home." Becca
This is based on a Julia Child recipe. 75% all-purpose flour, 25% cake flour. It works great. Per cup of flour I use 5-6 tablespoons butter & 2 tablespoons shortening. This gives me the tender, flakey crust that I want for most uses. If I'm doing a rustic tart, I need a sturdier crust and will use 100% all-purpose flour. Becca