or Connect

Posts by MaryE

Hi! Most of the time, I don't mind having my family in the kitchen with me, as long as they stay out of the way enough so that no one gets hurt. But, sometimes, my three brothers are so hungry, they'll just start picking at any food that looks reasonably cooked! For that reason, I've taken to putting appetizer type foods all around the house on days when they'll be here. That way, it's kinda like a hide and seek thing and they spend their time looking for food instead...
Hi there! My husband is a Type 1 diabetic, so I understand where you're coming from! We use the USDA nutrient database for carbs on on ingredients. And, it's free! You can use it online or you can download to your PC (but not if you're running Vista!) or PDA to make it more convenient. The link is: Nutrient Data Products and Services As far as any other hints, one thing you'll really want to have around is a kitchen scale. We always one out on the counter so that...
Hi! I've bought a couple of kitchen scales, all digital and all made by Salter. They work well. I think most of the brands of scales out today are good. II just have two thoughts. First, I really like digital scales as opposed to analog. I just think digital scales are more accurate and easier to read. My other thought is to consider the position of the readout relative to what you're weighing and how readable it is. Maybe an example will help explain what I'm...
Hi There! Like others, I love 'The Cake Bible'. It's a book that you can learn so much from by just reading through it. Rose also has a blog where she answers some questions and gives a few of her recipes: Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible.com. You might want to check that out first to get an idea of her writing and recipes. If you're also interested in cake decorating, you might want to look at 'The Well Decorated Cake' by Toba Garrett. This book also includes an...
Ah! That explains it! I haven't been allowed around such tools since the infamous hole-in-the wall incident of 2005! :lol:
Hi! Stupid question alert! Wouldn't the cutting boards be hard to cut cleanly through to make the scallop design, being cutting boards and all?
Hi! One time I took a cake decorating class from a local pastry chef and he talked about (but didn't show us) a techniques where he cut his own stencil and uses it for air brushing a design on a cake. He used something called duralar to make the stencils. I would guess that you could use the same thing to make the type of stencil you're looking for. I've found duralar at the following link (search on stencil) Cake decorating & candy making products online BTW,...
Hi! It's not free, but I use MS Word to keep my recipes. You can keep pictures and hyperlinks in there. So, I keep everything in sections, use the header tags to create indexes and you can easily search if you're looking for a particular ingredient. Hope that helps!
Interesting. I've never heard of roasting eggs, but I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks!
BDL, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that you roast the eggs in the shell, laid directly on a pan in the oven? Or do you put the pan with the water (after the boil?) and the eggs in the oven? Thanks!