or Connect

Posts by MaryE

AndyG: would it be the same procedure wih real rice? I'm with you - not a big fan of minute rice! Thanks! -Mary
And, how is poaching different than simmering? I found a definition that says that simmering is holding a liquid at a temperature of around 185 degrees fahrenheit, low enough that small bubbles, but not large ones, are just beginning to break the surface. If I'm doing the math right, that's 85 degrees celsius. Is it just the 5 degrees difference, I wonder? And, to confuse things even more, I found a definition of poaching on foodnetwork.com: Encyclopedia that...
Too funny! I was just such a physics student! As a college student studying physics, I tried to make a cake fall while in the oven baking by jumping up and down repeatedly on the floor near the oven. I never got it to happen. But, I suppose it may depend on the type of cake. So, as a physicist, I still don't the answer! But, then again, I never studied 'cakes' in graduate school! -Mary
Hi there! I can't help you with the apple cake or crumble, but for the chocloate cake, you might want to try the 'Double Chocolate Layer Cake' on Epicurious.com: Double Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe at Epicurious.com It's pretty amazing! Enjoy! -Mary
Hi! I had the same thing happen with a small ceramic paring knife - the tip cracked off. You're right, the knife still performed well, but I had a heck of a time trying to find the piece that had cracked off. It was kinda like having a small razor blade loose in my kitchen! I finally found the piece embedded in the sole of my shoe. Just thankful I was wearing shoes and that I'd managed to keep the dogs out of the kitchen. The experienced turned me off to the ceramic...
Mezzaluna, Thank you so much for the kind welcome! It really does seem like very inviting! As far as cooking goes, I love both savory and sweet! Thanks again for the welcome! -Mary
Knives with serrated blades are typically made from an inferior grade of stainless steel. This type of stainless steel contains less carbon that high quality knives, resulting in a metal that is too hard to be effective re-sharpened. That's why these blades are serrated - because serrated blades cut better when they are dull than non-serrated blades do. I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with these types of knives, but I think it’s important to know what you’re...
But, if you're just looking for a pasta pot, isn't lightweight an advantage? I want my pasta pan to be lightweight to make it easier to manage when it'f full of water. I don't like the other RR pans, but I do like the oval pasta pan for just that reason and because the shape fits the pasta.
I've only called All-Cllad customer service for information, never a complaint. But, they've always been very helpful and informative. Since A.C. is built like a tank, I don't see myself needing to call them for any other reason. I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't let any issue with customer service stop you from purchasing All-Clad because it's great stuff.
I don't think you can go wrong with All-Clad. But, I don't think you'll get the see-through lid or the rolled lip.