or Connect

Posts by ShoeMaker

I've baked countless hundreds of cheesecakes (NY style) in the "spinning rack" type convection oven. We'd use 2" hotel pans to put the cakes and H2O in, and never had water slopping around, never had to cover cakes. I absolutely loved that oven (at my previous job) as it baked most everything quite nicely. These days, I'm limited to a standard convection oven (high/low fan), and I bake cheesecakes "satisfactorily" in it (although I don't like the results as much as...
Lana, that sounds almost exactly the same as the flourless chocolate cake recipe I make every so often at my work, other than the fact that I use no tartar (I'll have to check my recipe, and see just how close it is..... I haven't scaled for one cake in forever....typically 8 to 10 cakes each time, depending on number of "guests", i.e., visiting managers. After cooling, I cover it with melted ganache, serve with candied orange slices and amaretto whipped cream. It's a...
Where I work, corporate requires oil/water slip-resistent soled "kitchen" shoes .... or words to that effect ;) afaik, Crocs aren't slip resistent....at least they're a no-go in our kitchen, as are most type "street shoes." I don't mind, as my feet almost never complain no matter what I'm wearing :) If I had my druthers, I'd rather be wearing my Keens, but...then I'd have flour/sugar/whathaveyou on my foot and in my toes... heh
MMMMmmmmmm .... me likey ginger :cool:
At the moment, a common question 'bout my flourless chocolate cake is "How can you make a cake with no flour ???!!!???" LOL....
Hey, james....you could just perhaps cut the recipe in half (more or less, depending on the yield of your recipe). I don't bake at home very often, as I spend 8 - 12 hours a day, 5 - 6 days a week, baking for a restaurant, so my recipes are generally for large quantities (serving 40 to 120 people, generally). Perhaps post your recipe and I'd have somewhat of an idea how much to scale it back....or you could buy another pan or two - if you intend to do some home baking,...
Kudos, Ron, for your wife and you wanting to take this on...... I think the whole grain bread idea is a great one (I LOVE whole grain yeast-raised breads). Heck, whole grain bread and peanut butter sandwiches in and of itself is a decent snack/meal ...maybe add sliced bananas (using natural peanut butter, of course.... there's no place for sugar/high fructose corn syrup in peanut butter, imo). If I'm feeling especially motivated after a long day baking, I'll even make...
I grew up just outside of Philadelphia (Bristol PA) and good pretzels are one thing I do miss about the area. Well, that and going down the shore :cool: .... and real pizza and hoagies and cheesesteaks. This southern food just ain't the same ;)
Hmmmmm, have never had a "yellowing" problem from storing - in fact, I just pulled out an emergency white coat a few weeks back after being in my closet for years and it still looks new. Go figure. Luckily for me now, though, is that we wear black chef's coats, so stains,etc aren't such a problem .... although they DO look pretty crappy after being at work for a bit while using flour, which is, ummm, most days ;) Good luck with the yellow problem, I don't know what...
I have no idea, but wish you luck .... my former boss is struggling with the same sort of issue at this very moment.