or Connect

Posts by NotBert

I do quite a bit of shopping through Amazon, and would be happy to help give something back to this site. The discussions here have, on more than one occasion, helped me to reach a decision on a particular piece of equipment or brought a new cookbook to my collection. That being said, unless they are right under my nose (I am not discounting that possibility either!), I can't for the life of me find the darn things. Are they in the reviews section somewhere, or what?
I would love to see Jacques Pepin as well. Chris Cosentino would also make an interesting choice.
Could you possibly post a copy of your recipe and process? The "crumb" of the bread is determined by several factors, and without being able to narrow things down we'd just be taking shots in the dark.
Alright, there are a few variables to deal with here, first is your thermometer. To put it simply, they go out of whack quite easily and yours probably needs to be calibrated. If you've got an "analog" dial-type thermometer there's a great thread here that tells you how to do just that.   http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/15724/instant-read-thermometer   If it happens to be digital you should consult the owners manual for instructions.   When it comes to actually...
Unfortunately I can answer yes to this question.  When I was younger my parents raised chickens. The problem is that they would occasionally make nests in the woods around our house (In addition to the ones in their roost.). There was no telling how old they were once you came across them. The really old ones would literally explode when the nest was disturbed! I made the mistake ONCE of cracking a mystery egg directly into the pan instead of it into a bowl to give it a...
As soon as the habaneros are ripe we start making jerk chicken 2-3 times a week 
There are some really good suggestions here already, but I wanted to include "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" by George Greenstein to the list.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580088449/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=089594605X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PSWN3VRSSSH0AW2ECWY   Written by a retired baker/owner, this book is written with the home cook in mind. Each recipe comes with adjustments based on...
That is the single greatest thing I've read all week.   Right now I'm working my way through "Sauces" by James Peterson, and "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen" by Jacques Pepin (Not a cookbook per se, but there are recipes included).   "Sauces" is a tome. Peterson covers the subject in incredible detail, probably more so than most home cooks will ever need. So far I'm really appreciating his emphases on how and why, the recipes themselves serving mainly as an...
  One of the best decisions I made when I got serious about baking was to buy a digital kitchen scale. Converting your recipes to weight makes it a lot easier to track the adjustments you are making. You'll also wind up with much more consistent results.   I'm on board with the suggestion of letting the dough sit overnight. If you decide to do that you might want to cut the yeast down by a packet and maybe ease off on the honey a little bit. Too much rise and your dough...
Jacques Pepin, the man is an amazing teacher.