or Connect

Posts by justjoe

The economy stinks and around here a chain or indie rest. goes out of business literally every month, so is this a bad time to be in the kitchen? Do you think jobs in tourist areas are more stable than other places, such as mid sized cities?
Except for very rare circumstances, you are not obligated to tell anyone about your medical history. Google HIPPA. It is comman for colleges to require their students to have health ins. A lot of schools allow students to buy a health ins policy from the school, so you might want to check that out.
the_seraphim, If I were to leave my job and buy my family plan out of my own pocket it would run about $1,200 a month. If you don't get medical insurance through your employer, very few people in the US can afford health insurance because it is so expensive. There are cheaper policies available, but they cover less and leave you with a greater share of the cost.
Something like the French Pastry School in Chicago might be what you are looking for. Since you already have a (non-culinary) degree, you can get an Associates Degree in baking and pastry in just one year from Johnson and Wales under their "Garnish Your degree" program.
A pastry person starting out makes more like 8-10 dollars an hour. 48 grand is certainly not low end starting pay for a pastry chef. I'm not saying it's not appropriate, just that it is not "normal," which means underpaid. You can just guess and probably be right as far as your paper is concerned. Are you buying new equipment or used? I worked for a baker who was using some machines made in the 1930's. Same for display cases. Do you want to make a lot of simple...
I think most people do without. You cannot afford private insurance on typical kitchen wages.
At most community colleges I checked into you could get an Associates for 4-8 grand. Be aware that the lab fees, etc. at J&W will boost your cost for the year up to about the 25 thousand mark. I don't consider J&W or any of the other big name places cheap for a degree, especially when you look at the actual cost of degrees at local community colleges. I believe classes at my local CC run about 5 grand for a two year degree. I believe the local law school is 18 thousand...
Do you have the requisite industry experience to get into the CIA? You are young, so I would suggest that you go for a degree and not a diploma. The CIA (and many places that don't cost nearly as much) can let you earn a degree. A number of places require a degree for employment for assistant's positions. A combination of education and experience is always better than one or the other.
Sorry to hear about your father...it must be very tough for you. If you want to go to a top rated culinary school you need to pick up your grades. Most schools offer tutoring sessions. You need to know how to write and communicate, you will need business math skills, you will need to know how to read for comprehension, etc. Apply yourself in school and get the help you need with your classes.
Foodpump: Your experiences may be different than mine, but I've been in management for over 20 years and have never asked or expected an employee to donate one minute of their time off the clock. I am salaried and a salaried position is different--you put in the hours you need to put in. An hourly employee--never--it is a violation of labor law. I feel sorry for you guys who feel you have to endure illegal working conditions. No one wants to speak out because they are...