or Connect

Posts by stir it up

I am absolutely in LOVE with the Silver Giant http://silvergiant.flagro.on.ca/gas_grills.htm Extreme quality, 90,000 BTU on the cook surface, no nonsense like other models that add up BTU with side burners and all, this is apparently the highest BTU per square inch in the industry. It's hard to find well built stuff like this any more, these are outstanding and exceptional units. There have been recalls of cheapo grills made in China, a safety issue in addition to a...
They are gorgeous, old school, thanks for posting! I have lots of bieda (sp?) in the garden, I haven't been all that inspired to use it, now I will have to try something like those. No schkarol though to make the Napolitan ones. :cool:
Randall, Tomatoes are generally self pollinating, so in general, a large type tomato will breed relatively true to type, if it truly was an heirloom / open pollinated type. Small tomatoes like wild tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, current tomatoes are more likely to cross, so even in heirlooms for those you can have some different tomatoes showing up when you grow them out. If they were hybrids, the seeds might not replicate the parent tomato. So in a nutshell, if you love...
MILK instead of BEER in the Rarebit?! BLASPHEMY!! :p Now beer instead of milk in that chocolate cake, that warrants a try. :beer: Thanks qahtan, I'll try the chocolate cake some time.
so the total formula assuming you use the max water is about 18 oz water / 24.75 flour if I calculated correctly, that's 72.7% hydration. So compared with my 95% water, that's a dry ciabatt. Lots of people use the 70-85% range range for ciabatta, if you want it to keep longer, use higher water IMO, I like to get close to 100% but just under. This will take some getting used to in terms of handling such a wet dough, and also in terms of making happy gluten, folding or...
Water. Lee, how much water is in the recipe? (can you express it in weight against the weight of the flour or bakers percentage?). A more "wet" dough will stale much more slowly. I do a 95% hydration ciabatta. Other tips: Don't put bread in the fridge, this speeds staling. Are you doing an autolyse, which is a fancy term for let the flour and the water sit a bit to fully soak in before proceeding with the rest of the ingredients and process. BTW, Vitamin C...
I was taught that you ONLY want to cook the FEMALE blossoms for quality and taste. It's easy to tell which is which, the female blossoms look like they have a tiny baby fruit just behind the flower, the male blossoms have a whole lotta nothing. Make sure to leave enough to turn into pumpkins, they're good eatin' too.
I'd like to make a salad with avocado and strawberries, the latter being in season locally. Any ideas on making it outstanding... presentation, dressing, plating, other components, etc... Thanks in advance for any inspiration!
puh-leeze What's with people who "apologize" like that, sorry YOU feel that way... Try "Sorry I'm such a Kraft Weiner" chef21 I'll make sure I never buy your cream cheese again, take your Spam and go home. Why don't you add some Velveeta cheese to it, some Kraft miniature marshmallows... (see, still traumatized from those Kraft commercials in the seventies). Yeah, chef21, you "spread awareness about the tools" all right. :rolleyes: