or Connect

Posts by stir it up

1) a modest amount of drained crushed pineapple, will give you nice moisture. Shouldn't be perceived as pineapple in the final product. 2) don't neglect the flavor quality of the carrots. I used to get them by the bushel at the farmer's market from a fantastic farmer. There is a HUGE taste difference between a chemically synthesized bag of carrots and a good carrot. Their fibrousness will also be softer. 3) don't do an all-oil carrot cake. Substitute a serious portion...
Hi Wolfgang, If by Old World breads, you mean those great German ryes I want to know what you know! OK, for potato doughnuts, here's a recipe I got from an Amish baker, but never tried it. 1 cup sugar 1 cup mashed potatoes 1/2 cup lard or shortening 3 eggs beaten 1-1/2 tsp salt 1-1/2 - 2 packages yeast 1 cup warm water 5 cups flour (altered as necessary depending on your flour). On this recipe, you might also want to change the water to scalded milk, as in the...
I would do the "first rise" or bulk fermentation of the dough on day 1, then when you're at the stage you would call "punch down", I would roll them out, fill them, slice them, however you do it, and put them into your prepared pans. Then put them in the fridge to do the second rise overnight. Usually works great. The warmest part of your fridge is best, commercial retarders are a little warmer than the average home fridge. If you're scared it won't work out, check...
I like an "old school" Lindy's cheesecake. 5 packs of cream cheese in a 9" cake, a lemon-hinted shortbread cookie type crust, and real Bing cherries (dark black/purple) done up for a topping. Just the right hints of lemon and orange oil or rind, and that will kick the butt off any contemporary cheesecake, I'm tellin' ya! For savory cheesecakes, I used to make a smoked salmon savory cheesecake which went over well. No crust, made with cream cheese and ricotta, heavy...
it's also an old pastry chef's trick to use the question "would you like to save the top tier" as a way to "upsell" a little extra cake to guests who haven't even thought of this, by selling them the need for more cake than they need for their guests.
If there's something you like about the Revolution line, there is a Revolution X (ie "10"), instead of the 1 or 2. It holds up to 10 pounds of chocolate. Personally max capacity of a pound and a half would drive me a little batty, even for home use. Have fun with whatever you choose :smiles:
tip for nicer Linzertorte: don't use full-on raspberry jam/preserves, blend the jam with fresh or frozen raspberry puree (no seeds of course). By the time the jam bakes, it's reduced further... the taste and texture (and color) is much nicer if it was blended with puree before baking. :chef: jess, I don't have my old formulas handy, but I recall only using egg yolk and not the white or whole eggs as in the formula you gave. I've even seen some be made more like...
DIEGO, it's also very possible that your bay leaf plant doesn't like the humidity where you are, and that is a fungal thing.
AsianWeek.com
hoping for a recommendation, I have none at home and I'm craving it. for drinking and for things with prune and Armagnac. Any other knowledge or tips on Armagnac also appreciated. :smiles: Thanks!