or Connect

Posts by stir it up

I pictured him/her making a completely 3-D realistic helmet sitting upright with faceguard and not knowing how big to make the helmet's dimensions, so I said to monitor the batter to AT LEAST 50 (ie more than fifty, not batter for fifty) then you'll have a frame of reference as to whether it's about the right amount of cake. I know what you meant by your first reply, but I didn't know if he was using some funky 3-D half sphere pans that he didn't know servings for, etc.,...
sorry allie, and for some reason I thought I was still in the pro pastry chef forum when I posted my answer, so sorry if I overwhelmed you with detail and sources of ingredients, etc... Aw geez, and I gave away all my fruitcake secrets for no reason :smiles: If you want, you could use that fruit you bought but soak it in rhum first. Add a decent amount of rhum to your fruitcake, then if you want, you can wrap it in cheesecloth and put it in a container and soak it with...
I'm not sure if I've misinterpreted your question... just go by the amount of cake batter, make enough batter for at least 50, then see that it all fits in whatever you're baking it in. or if you're asking not for the dimensions of the whole cake but dimensions of servings, just disect mathematically, say in quarters, then fourteen servings out of each quarter, something like that.
allie, I share the love for a really good homemade fruitcake. Good that you're looking into it now, as a good one requires a little aging to make it yummy. To me what sets apart a good one... don't be shy with the rhum. DO NOT USE RED OR GREEN GLACE CHERRIES or any of the other glace fruit you buy in the store. Harpua had good advice to avoid the glace fruit and go with dried. Nicer fruits are a key, and a well chosen combination. You can glace your...
Harpua, I think people who are bad at selling themselves can make GREAT employees. I really appreciate a person who will give you a straight answer and not spin everything, gild the lily, try to hide mistakes instead of just being honest, etc... It sounds like you have lots to offer and hope you find the right fit soon!!!:bounce:
rat, anyone, maybe this is a dumb question but do you know if there is any difference in the coldness of marble and granite? Is granite as cold as marble? Geez, don't even get me started on that one! :suprise:
Kevin, I see you're a student. Is this gig an "impress the teachers" part of your studies, or is it a paid gig on the side you're doing to make money? Glad I mentioned the juice because I was thinking maybe I shouldn't get into that, too off topic. You can just squeeze up an ingredient or two and add it to a juice you purchase, eg buy "fresh squeeze" Tropicana and add some blood oranges you press yourself. Juice cranberries or other berries yourself and add them to a...
Consumer Reports recently tested blenders. Vita-Mix came out #1. The only thing they knocked it for was price, and its noise was in the "fair" category. It beat the K-Tec (also now called BlendTec. The K-tec might boast higher HP (peak HP is always a little bit BS by the way) For a cheap blender the Best Buy was a Braun PowerMax MX2050, but IMO anyone with a job should get a Vita-Mix and not screw around with these wimply little domestic blenders that will burn out...
I'm currently living in Canada, I just ordered four culinary books in a hurry from Amazon and couldn't figure out if I could link to amazon.ca (canadian amazon) to benefit this site. Is there a way I can order from the canadian amazon.ca and still do it with a commission for this site?
GOOD ON YOU RON!!! I also mill my own flour just before baking bread! Do you have a convenient way to mill? You can even use a Vitamix dry jar, works great and fast for modest amounts! I love love love the taste of freshly milled whole grains, I would think those grains would be more palatable for the kids being all fresh and nutty tasting. I now live in Canada, but have lived in American cities like L.A. It is a great tragedy the way our societies have left...