or Connect

Posts by stir it up

and continuing to scratch head... if baking and cooking came before farming, what did they cook? :confused: molecular? :roll::crazy:
I thought something else was the oldest trade! Oh, wait a minute, that's a "Profession." Shows you where we rank!!! :lol::roll:
I recently picked up a bargain Cast Iron dutch oven from Calphalon. ($129 for $29). All the cast iron I've used in the past were smooth inside. This one is fairly rough inside. I've been continuing to season it and also for now cooking only fatty things in it, but I'm wondering if smoother would be more non-stick, or rough. Should I ask my husband to grind it smooth, or keep it with the rough, pitted surface for better non-stick performance. Which would be more...
A nice alternative to this, and also from the grocery store, is to get a couple cans of bing cherries. They are usually in the canned fruit aisle, you have to look for them a bit, as they're not a high volume, high profile item. I usually see "York" brand. Then add lemon juice, and thicken with your preferred thickener. You will get a dark cherry nice topping that seems and tastes more homemade than the radioactive red cherry pie filling, and not much extra work. ...
kane, I think you should consider Austria. To me, they have much more going on in terms of pastry than any of those countries you mentioned. I think it started with the Habsburg tradition, and continued from there. OK I'll give you France, Belgium, Switzerland for choclatiers, Or France and Italy for bread, but for pastries, to me the Austrian pastry shops are the bombe.;) You're after Cafe Zauner in Bad Ischl, from what you've said. Now with your three month...
Thanks for posting Bob. I made sourdough bagels yesterday, and have had such a craving for one with a schmear and some lox. I usually cure Gravad Lax / gravlax once a year, didn't do it this year yet. Never tried the sodium nitrite, haven't died yet;) . No smoke either. Well, on the fish that is:smoking: Yours looks absolutely delicious!
Hi Kirsten, hopefully we can put our heads together and solve this for you. If those are all the ingredients for the custard, you're missing eggs, butter, cornstarch, and sugar for a typical basic pastry cream. Some chefs mix their made up pastry cream with some other ingredients to make a different "custard", say gelatine, liqueur and cream added to the pastry cream to get a "custard", or some just use the pastry cream as the "custard" itself for danishes. It...
ecolee, what % hydration are those doughs? my foccach is 95%:bounce:. Culinary school probably taught you somewhere around 60%.:rolleyes: So my facetious answer to your question is there is a natural additive, it's called water.:lol: There are tons of additives on the market that are sold to retard staling. (or it's main perceivable effect which is the firming of the texture). here's a puratos link with many of them, including your s500. - Bread...
Is it possible those 50 numbers are flour types (type de farine in French). For instance type 55 is sort of like all purpose, type 45 sort of like cake & pastry flour, and 65 - 80 high gluten, etc... The German flour types multiply those by 10. It's a little odd to see a distinction between 50 and 51 though. Is the Pointex a shortening brand that's now defunct, that would be my guess. I'm seeing those big old fashioned shortening cans...:crazy: You would have to...
Hi shel, I know a little about how potatoes are grown, commercial and organic. I don't know specifically about Idaho, but similarly in Canada there is a potato region on Prince Edward Island, where like Idaho they are known as the potato capital, and potatoes have been grown there for many years. Much of the soil has become depleted and in poor condition over many years of growing potatoes, which are heavy feeders. To just supply chemical fertilizers and then...