or Connect

Posts by Just Jim

Most shelving units ship with 4 shelves. These units are usually built identical to each other, each shelf being at the the same level as shelves on other units. Reorganizing items by height (gallon mustard, relish, olives, etc. all on one shelf) can usually reduce dead space (space above items and below upper shelf), and allow you to add more shelving.
Par-cooking and then portioning allows you to cut the chicken with a dull house knife.

Because you can control heat and humidity through multiple cooking/reheating phases they can produce good food. The only one I've worked with was in a brand new hotel kitchen. They had ramps to their walk-ins making moving plated carts inside impossible, and had water so hard that deliming twice a day wasn't often enough, and it kept breaking down, so I mainly used it for cooking and reheating large batches. The alto shaam website has some great...
If it's not against regulations, buy and wear what you want. If you're comfortable and happy, only a jerk would give you grief. While I've gone back to basic black, I still have many pairs of exotic patterned pants. Saying someone who wears colorful patterns isn't that good of a cook is similar to stating that you can only prep well with a black handled knife.
The inspectors looked for temps and obvious storage violations (raw chicken above cooked foods, etc.). There's a good ol' boy mentality for many old restaurants in this area. I worked in a kitchen with a hood fan that  covered the back burners of a 6 top grill, but not the front, and was only as high as my chest. It didn't suck (pun intended), and would never fly in any other restaurant. Owner never had to update it to specs.
In the environment at the time, no, I wouldn't date the product. I was the only one using it, I knew that this week I made the crab cakes on Tuesday, the dungeness was live backed and cooked on Friday, etc. The only need for dating would be for someone else to know the history. As I was never allowed to be sick (even worked through a bad case of shingles), that was never going to happen. Where I'm at now? I label and date everything, legibly. Other people need to...
I've worked high end, responsible for my own station every day of the week, and never used a prep list. Never dated anything either, as I knew each items history from conception to birth. That being said, I wouldn't give you grief for using a list. I've used them and expect I will use them again in the future.
They like to do it this way, it doesn't affect you, and management is obviously okay with this arrangement.  I would focus my attention elsewhere.
I recommend finishing your degree.....but it would not factor in my decision to hire you.