or Connect

Posts by Just Jim

My remi wants to marry your demi
Time and repetition. No matter where I go, I am not as fast on my first day as I am on my 60th. It takes awhile to get your muscle memory, your ability to act without conscious thought. You care, which is a good place to start. You should find yourself using your notes less and less as time passes, and your efficiency will increase. Hang in there, we've all been there.
Can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.
It wasn't verbal abuse. It was homophobic verbal abuse.   I've worked with chefs who physically assaulted staff, and called them abusive names. I have no respect for them. But some would say that calling my mistake stupid would also be verbal abuse, and I disagree. If what I did was, by definition, stupid, the only issue I have is with myself.
Just to clarify, as I'm sure some will jump to a conclusion, nowhere in my comments did I support the actions of the basketball coaches. I wouldn't support that behavior in a kitchen either.
If looking at only one show, perhaps. But if you look at the most popular shows on TV today, they are hollow, drama filled messes. Jersey Shore, Real Housewives of where ever, etc. etc. etc. Drama. No bullying. Raising your voice, calling someone a dumb donkey, does not equate to physically assaulting or using racial and homophobic slurs, none of which Ramsey is guilty of. Sometimes you have to go to slight extremes to get through to some people. Telling someone the same...
It's glorified by Ramsey because that's what the American TV audience craves, drama. The difference between the BBC and American versions of Kitchen Nightmares is eye opening.
Reminds me of a marine sniper motto: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Slower, precise movements are ultimately faster than rapid and out of control.
I have seen that too, from experienced chefs no less. Wearing one set of gloves for hours, across multiple tasks. I wear them when reaching in to liquids, like moving product in a brine, or when I am prepping chicken. I might go through 5 or more pair on a single task. Like any tool, they have their place, but can easily be abused. Used properly and in conjunction with hand washing and sanitizer buckets (which I've also seen abused by never being changed out), they are...
When doing a full rail of tickets, I'll drop baskets of fries. I'll sacrifice a few cents of product to ensure timely service. Mind you, I am speaking only of fries, and only during the extreme rush.