or Connect

Posts by Just Jim

Tough situation since the client is family. Different (unrealistic) expectations of you because of this. Good luck.
Curious. When I took a line cooking job for a couple of years I changed my title here to Line Cook. I actually took some flack from a former member because, as a line cook, I obviously didn't know as much as he did. I continued to post in this section during that time. Should I have refrained?
Unfortunately, his mid 30's.
Owner's stepson hired as restaurant manager, never worked in the business. Seen red faced and angry while placing water glasses on a kitchen scale. When asked why he looked so mad: "these are supposed to be 8 ounce water glasses, they weigh almost a pound! We're getting ripped off!".
I respect Pete's position. There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of whether someone should employ an inked cook. Ink has nothing to do with the skill of the cook, which I think Pete would agree with. It just might not be good for business, though it could be good, or may have no impact on business either way. Depends on the venue. But this thread didn't start out as to whether one should get/have tattoos, or what that says about that person. The OP...
I have 3, all on my right arm.
If the grill is extremely bad, you could sacrifice an old sheet pan. When the grill is hot, cover it with the pan, baking all of the build up until it can be brushed/scraped of easily.
Perhaps they are being turned/flipped too soon? Do your steaks stick? A burger has more surface fat than a steak.....you don't oil your steaks do you?
If the OP works in California, an At Will state, then no reason for termination need be given. Unless they state a reason that is cause for wrongful termination, which would be kind of stupid on their part, the OP has no case. One reason an owner would choose this route is if they think things are running smoothly, and that they can get some younger (though probably less knowledgable) person to do the same job for less money. Seen it happen a lot.
All recipes, menus, etc. belong to the company. I wouldn't "take" the kitchen staff, I wouldn't even actively encourage them to apply. Too much like poaching, which I am against. Also, it might give them the impression that they somehow are special, possibly undermining your authority over them. I would however interview those that took the initiative themselves to apply if I was impressed with their work.