or Connect

Posts by alrm

... Appreciate your nice comments and thought I would let you know that we have a lot in common. I was born 52 years ago in Ontario and have been eating bread since then. I did graduate college in 2002 and do understand the theory of food and cooking. And to the original question that was asked Yes buy that fancy oven take it home and use it. If you find you don't like it call me and I will buy it from you. Al
To further this discussion on proofing I failed to see where I mentioned cooking fast and hot to make a loaf or two of bread. A dough proofer is used to encourage fermentation of dough by yeast through warm temperatures and by controlled humidity. These warm temperatures increase the activity of the yeast, therefore allowing an increased carbon dioxide production and a higher and faster rise. In a professional bake shop dough is typically allowed to rise in the proofer...
Just my thoughts here. I too am looking at a convec oven that proofs. If you want to make bread or rolls a proof feature is great because for one thing the yeast dough will rise more evenly than in a pan on the counter. Also the convection oven will cook your bread (and all other things) more evenly. So go ahead and buy it.
My mother recently told me about lunch she had in one of her local restaurants. She ordered a toasted bacon and tomato sandwich on brown and a soup. The sandwich came sans tomato and on burnt white. She sent it back and recieved double bacon and loads of tomato but still on brown. She said the soup was good. By the way she is 82 years old. Do you think they thought she wouldn't notice?
I agree with Chef Montelago and the others. I will tell you that after one semester you will understand more about food than almost anyone you meet. To suggest to anyone that a proper education is worthless is absolutely foolish. I went back to college at 47 and have do not regret one minute of it. Whatever you want to succeed at in this life you have to understand just what the heck its all about.
Hey Mulak......... Thanks for the nice comments. When you start your cafe call me I will come do all your prep for you.(for a small fee) It took more than guts to complete my course at 46, it took a lot of hard work and determination. You know when you take a good culinary course it is going to be mostly theory. This was my favorite part. Ya see as a mechanic I love to know how things work. And remember this... No one can teach you how to cook they can only teach you the...
I will answer your questions about me and college . I am a mechanic who thought it would be nice to change careers, so at 46 I returned to school and thought I would like to get into the restaurant business. My son was in his first year of Hotel/Resort/Restaurant management and I sometimes had to drive him there. I was in awe of the kitchens and stuff there. So away I went. And I loved it. This course at Canadore was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It is...
The road to where I live is longer than the trip to the bakery. live in Kitchener. And that is just down the road. Al
Hey there Mulak, I am a graduate of Canadore Culinary Arts program in North Bay. I would suggest you get there or go to Humber if going away is a problem. I would highly suggest you stay away from Liason as a personal feeling for the place. It is a very stripped down version of Canadore or Humber. You should go to the local colleges and ask what qualifications the teachers have, are they former exec chefs or someone with experience? What are the possibilities of work when...
Oh Pan... HAHA That is a good point you make. Nuff said.