Posts by panini

Weird this came up again. I talked about this very thing a couple of weeks ago. I had the chance to host a visit from a really old friend and his grandchildren for a few days. One of his grandchildren competed in a swimming competition close by. We enjoyed reminiscing. Keeping in mind, the time we were running together was probably before most here at ChefTalk were born. We were city boys. He was in the Navy and I'm pretty sure I was still in culinary school. We talked and...
Just my own thoughts, that's all. Only produced eclairs in the 100s of thousand and in a few countries, and in competition.I'll give this chef the benefit of the doubt that is oven thermometer is off. or he has baking powder in the formula. If not either of those two, has produced less that a gross in a lifetime or is positioned at some crazy altitude.Only a few important things to remember about choux. Kick, moist elastic skin, and the dry out process. This item has been...
I just want to ask: We are talking shoulder, right? At what temperature are you all smoking? I'm surprised that no one mentioned what internal temperature they were cooked to. I'll just assume y'all must know. But for those that don't know, I wouldn't suggest putting cooked meats in a cooler. Unless you have 10-15 butts, but if you are at home and pull a couple of butts that have not effectively cooked past the stall, they will cool down quicker. I'm also a little...
No, not what I'm saying. I apologize for not having the ability to string a sentence together. Major Chemo Brain. I was saying that there are many restaurants that substitute thigh meat for white meat even if it stated on the menu. Truth in menu laws are obsolete and and almost never addressed.
It just boggles my mind that in this current economy why would anyone would want to show a profit? Since 2008, profit is just one small calculator, and that's only if you plan to sell your business Other than that, it's quite useless and obsolete. 40 yrs. ago, the concept of ownership was to get it off the ground, work your buns off (usually unpaid) increase gross sales as much as possible. Your payday came when you sold your business and used gross sales X current market...
I think the OP already knew the answer from the forum. My concern with the post would be the method and procedure used. When you pre-cook the ribs, they need to go to 145 deg. internally. Then properly chilled and stored. with limited (out time @ room temp). Your terminology is 'grill to order', but that's actually reheating them. They now need to go to 165 deg. before serving. Personally, I don't think this method produces a quality product. Just my personal opinion.
Who is IDK? I agree with you all. To much over thinking going on. I've always used a lower protein flour if my filling was fresh picked and took longer to cook. And a higher protein if using a prepared product and kick it in the oven..Not really concerned that much about resting. I'd just keep it out some to keep it from cracking on the rondo. I take it down all at once. If I needed to dust, I might go to the 6 or 12x. Don't think I would need 16 passes. With a five lbs....
Halb I'll agree that the may be using the breasts for something else, but your example, chicken nuggets? really? They are made with whole bird parts, you know, the same byproducts as used in dog food. trim, feek, toes, feet, etc. And if you figure they they are 60% fat, I'm not sure how much breast is in them. French Fries , judging from the prices on that menu, I would have to bet a' nice lunch, with beverages' that you are going to receive thigh meat. Have a friend who...
Hey chefpeon., just my opinion. The OP says they roll out of the cooler. My question is, are they retarding the dough, or just hardening up the butter for rolling. I personally think if you take the dough down 75% then retard, and finish the next day, the first roll agitates the gluten too unevenly. It's alright to run the dough all the way at one time with the proper formula, but should really be baked then.. Myself, I would run it down a 1/3rd or 1/2. add 12x powdered...
Whenever I think about how much genetic changing has taken place with chickens, I can't bring myself to eat a commercial one. There is an additional or enlarged (I'll call it an artery) in the breast.. I have to believe it delivers extra blood to the additional growths on chickens being raised in an unknown place. Those growths must be whole legs. That's why the breast are so big. Also why most of the commercial retail breasts are skinless. Hiding under the healthy label....