or Connect

Posts by panini

As far as the Chef that hates you. After 5 yrs. it's time to have a "come to Jesus meeting" in the walkin. Put it right to him, ask him what you're doing for him to hate you so much? You should be able to tell these other Chefs what you are writing about here. No one likes confrontation but sometimes when someone knows they won't be confronted they take it as a sign of weakness.  I've been in your shoes. I have on occasions walked into the Managers office (not the Food...
It is just unethical. If you want to have a business, then start one. Over the years I've had some Pastry Cooks and Bakers circumvent my business and do things on their own for customers they met when coming into my bakery. This type of thing always seems to make it back to where you met the customer.   I understand why you're thinking about doing this. I have had numerous retail and wholesale customers approach employees. I'm not sure where you reside, but there is...
I have a 2012 and a 2013 Transit Connect. The refrigeration is a package deal. I had to go out of state to Sanderson Ford in Arizona and had them shipped to Texas. I'm pleased with them, but we don't run daily deliveries. Anyone can drive them. We deliver Wedding cakes and things mostly on the weekends. If you are going to crank on the miles then I would consider a regular cargo van. The transits are nice for Wedding Cake deliveries because the are really designed as a...
Talking of pats on the back, I was very young at my first Commis job on a ship. There was quite a bit of a language barrier. Your position is to know all the positions in the brigade. My approach was to reverse pat O T Back. I would see the Banquet Chef bringing something up and tell him, " I heard you make the best Yadda Yadda, would you mind showing me how you do it and I can help you while making it. Once the other Chefs see that you can actually be of some...
Two schools of thought on the butter for the Brioche. Many formulas call for retarding the dough a long time or overnight. For these formulas you use room temp or soften butter. If your not going to retard a long time, the butter should be cut into small chunks and as cold as you can get. This way the friction of the mixer or your hands does not melt the butter.   Honestly, no oil in traditional Brioche. A little milk is also very acceptable.  If you use the softened...
Most state food codes and regulations and not created by the States themselves. Most are written as an interpretation of the FDA guidelines. One code can be interpreted probably 4 or 5 different ways. I have jumped through hoops to keep things I know are wrong, but it is just not worth it to fight it. If you request a formal answer it will probably move up the line to State officials who will remain adamant about their interpretation. We have a new inspector who is...
BBQing foods to add smoke flavor is much different then long smoking of foods. When you smoke using a BBQ the fat does not absorb more smoke flavor. So you want to expose most of the surface of the item when BBQing. The fat will give the protein a better flavor but won't absorb more smoke.   We don't do much BBQing down here, most of it is long smokes. I  cold smoke salmon and trout in an old convection oven that didn't work anymore. The fan still worked though. I would...
I think a buttercream holds up better when sculpting. You can also make a flavored simple syrup and brush it on the cake before the butter cream. Simple syrup is half and half, sugar and water and heated until the sugar dissolves and flavor.
@clementine,   When you pulse the powdered sugar, salt, just the zest, and the butter, it really has to look dry. Use a good brand of butter, as soon as it looks like sand, stop. You can cut the butter sticks in half lengthwise and turn it and again slice it in half length wise, then cut into 1/4 inch cubes. You can do this and separate the cubes a little and put back in the freezer while you scale the rest of the ingredients. When you pulse the butter  in you can't do it...
@carmenyu ,   I really agree with Phaedrus has posted. Growth in your career involves change and risk. The Fairmont Group is a very good outfit to start with. Most properties will have a good instructional environment. I'm assuming you went through the Human Resources Department to attain this job. Years ago I helped work on some of the educational programs at the Fairmont. My only suggestion would be: I assume you will be be back at HR to do your paperwork. I would use...