or Connect

Posts by panini

Well as @foodpump stated back in 2008, the folds were the focus. I have to agree with this. Although I'm not sure about the inception, probably ventilation, but the respect came from the folds. I'm old enough to remember one of my first gigs on a cruise ship. On off time I would usually procure an alcoholic beverage and watch the European Sous's measure and iron 100 folds into a toque for their respective Chefs. All of them told me the one hundred folds was status for...
I've worked quite a bit with D2. Have had the forged fired up since the fall weather change. I find the D2 easy to screw up when annealing. Being that D2 is air quenched the requirements are different. For my needs, it requires another furnace, and still needs packing. I assume this is the reason why it is not so popular for kitchen blades.   The tempering is also different. I've got buddies who are adamant by going for a hardness and toughness/durability by  with a...
In the olden days we used sachet bags placed around the room. We mixed a big batch, covered it with linen and let it sit for a week or so to blend the spices. Almost remembering: 1 pint ground cinnamon 1 "      whole allspice 1/2 "   whole clove 1/2 "   powdered ginger 1/4 "       "           nutmeg 1/4 "   anise The banquet staff made the bags. For the older crowds they put drops in the bags before filling. Maybe peppermint?
@toshibaaa ,   I must have been lax in reading all the posts. I was confused. I thought this thread started with a shop, retail help, etc. Working legally, whether it be Cottage law, etc. is one thing   . But for those who abuse the regulations or establish a business by flying under the radar an not legal, I have absolutely no use for.   They join my class labeled 'BOTTOM FEEDERS'. I've run up against these people my whole career. Our industry, (one of the largest in...
@toshibaaa , first of, you should pull back your shoulders, and keep your head high. Just having the trust of these people to give you any information shows they take your curiosity seriously. There are a thousand places for us to waste time. Wholesale is not the end all answer. It takes creativity and most importantly the ability to change, If you spend 3 years creating a concept for gourmet brownies, spend the money, finish-out and spend the time and have a wonderful...
hum? single rise bread for 10 outlets? ok. Anyway, pick a few bits of dough and roll them into balls. Drop them in some warm water. If they rise, 'yeast'. If the stay on the bottom, 'no yeast'. I say use a couple of balls, just in case one make attach to the bottom.   When in a hectic kitchen and scaling,  it's best to identify when active ingredients are being added. Our bench scaler sings the same  short love song in Spanish. Once worked in a shop with Italian bakers...
@chefpeon ,   Absolutely agree. A successful bakery concept is not Retail with Wholesale, rather, Wholesale with Retail.       Spot on about PR. Our retail stays busy but could never carry us. Retail is our advertising and communications base.:>)
Please regard this post as law. It comes from a long time business owner. As a long time bakery owner I absolutely agree. It usually takes one failure to truly understand a (wholesale start) or a constant source of income is the path to success. At least in my opinion.  I personally think the high failure rate of start-up food operations, is the inability to make ends meet by relying on register income alone. Followed by the lack of business knowledge, planning, etc.The...
1. You are targeting a specific audience. You have done your due diligence on, does this group exist?, you've surveyed persons and have confirmation they will patron your truck? etc.2. Food trucks usually have success finding a large groups who are mobile where nearby public food offerings do not exist. Bkfast,lunch,snack, dinne    I have two good friends who've gotten wildly successful by leaving the food truck group venue who position near daytime?evening business...
@Kaisleyk,  If you live in the DFW area there is not a whole lot of advice to seek out. You can get an associates degree, certificate or diploma in Food and Hospitality right here at El Centro Community College in Dallas. Any of those programs are a very good launching pad into the industry. The associates at El Centro is accredited by the American Culinary federation.The program is highly regarded not only in this area but nationally.   I believe FSR magazine just...