Posts by panini

@blizzardbakes ,  Off topic. Do you know what the ambient temperature will be when you display your cupcakes? Just making sure they are not planned for outside, hot and sunny. Personally, I prefer to impart more flavor with the fresh product itself when possible. Flavoring the buttercream is fine, but I feel the problem is getting the flavor to break through the sweetness. This is why for me personally,when I'm required to flavor a buttercream, I prefer a Swiss over...
Sounding like a Square salesperson. Square is an option ( a processing company) but certainly has nothing to do with cutting edge or boning up. It's geared to mobile processing. The OP mentioned having POS capabilities. Square has none. Square also charges an extra fee for manual transactions. This is very common when there might be a bad cell. Square doesn't appear to have any risk policies in place or use them regularly, and when you do hit an algorithm, they may hold...
There are upsides and downsides to all merchant processing. There are three points of negotiation on cost for regular processors. Not knowing these will result in high percentages. With Amex trying to get market share in the public sector with OPEN, the rates have dropped. They are still notorious for siding with the customer and will reverse fees immediately. They don't seem to have or use an algorithm to detect customers who practice this for profit as other card...
I've worked a bit in a few places. actually have been a owner most of my adult life. Years ago it took most of my energies to further my business education while working.I got so deep into the forest I couldn't see the trees. The result, waste of time, even masters. Most all reference materials and syllabus were so dated and not relevant to my thinking.   Early on, the common concept was to work your business, be anal about recording events and build the business  for...
Your adding a pretty significant amount of an acidic liquid. Puree's and extracts are hard to use in Swiss BC. A good compound/paste is probably your best bet. Then accent with the fresh berries. Amoretti is usually available. I prefer the Dreidoppel paste for BC just me though, If you're against the processed and want to stick with fresh then I would certainly go the reduction route.
If I'm understanding right, you inherited a small bistro that you were not aware of getting? How does that happen?    If you have no understanding of the business, the first thing I would do before entering the business is to immediately release yourself from any and all liabilities legally.   Contact the businesses accountant. If the business is showing any type of profits, take those monies and buy yourself some experienced advice.   Personally, the actions of the...
I agree with HalB. There are accessories available through reg sources, craigslist, ebay, etc. As HalB stated, avoid the commercial equipment sources. Look on the secondary market labeled: used restaurant/kitchen equipment, even kitchen equipment auction houses. If you are repairing on your own, and need something that's not a normal/ware replacement part, than I go to the used equipment guys. They most always have multiple donor mixers they use.
@OliviaS,                  Although your first posted eclairs would pass in most professional kitchens, you can achieve what you're desiring. The outside is not staying pliable/soft enough to handle the growth of the inside. couple of things to consider. Always start with a rapid boiling liquid. A flour with a higher gluten than APF would probably be best. Finish stirring the roux completely and add it to your mixer. Medium paddling will cause steam to escape. You...
2 cents from an old mind and memory. I think ya'll are right and ya'll are wrong. Both are peasant meat pies. Most places around the world had them. It was an good way to use meat scraps for a new hot meal. I'm pretty sure shepherds pie was Scottish and made with pastry. When the potato boom hit (booms a word. But probably the only food item to spread worldwide so fast) the Scottish transitioned to the potato. They had lamb available. The Italians had basically the same...
He's been in the bathroom.  He may return soon. Maybe the morning.