or Connect

Posts by panini

Your right. On my side, there aren't many reps with knowledge of pastry items. I forgot to add, I tell them not to sell me anything but give me the brochure of written info..
@AZFIREBALL56, Just want to remention. I don't think your yolks are breaking. If you boil the milk in the first stage, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if it appears to be breaking in the second stage, it's not your yolks breaking, I think your milk is probably curdling.     The properties of milk are similar to those of eggs or yolks.  Milk is basically an emulsion of butter fat, proteins, and water. Casein is one of milks proteins. When heat is applied that...
@AZFIREBALL56 ,     The procedure you are using is ok, but there has to be an added step. I didn't mention it because the procedure, for me, takes time to explain why it works. It's the procedure we use all the time in our bakery as most bakeries with trained Chefs. The procedure is called ' to ribbon the yolks'. The name throws people off. When you ribbon yolks or eggs, it's basically achieving a emulsified like texture. It's whisking or beating either straight yolks or...
Parchment paper is a pretty generic term. There are probably 50-100 different products under that umbrella. If you see a box of white sheet paper in a non bakery kitchen, chances are is is not a silicone coated sheet but coated with quilon. There cheaper and the purchaser probably doesn't know the difference except the quilon is cheaper. The silicone coated is better for bakeries because it can be baked numerous times. The paper you probably saw the meat wrapped in was...
A compliment my friend.    I knew you went to Conn. You like Conn? Are you you in a hoity toity area? Way some of those areas used to hold a butt load of wealthy dedicated customers. I only know everything up and down 95. Hitching back and forth to jw. Used to pick up private work in New Haven and Fairfield. Sometimes spending days and missing school, partying with Navy buddies in Groton. Probably all different now. I came up in the S. Bronx in the '60's.   It seems with...
NP at all. :>) You're here long enough to know me better. I don't know what it is, but every time I see your name, I envision a guy on top of an apartment building in NYC. Dressed in Chef's herringbone check pants with a wife beater shirt on. Driving golf balls in to the night. Then stopping to go behind the little out-house like building where the door is and checking his on homemade brew set up. So he can start the next stage.
leaving the sugar and yolk is a very BAD thing. The quicker you blend and use the more you ensure the proteins won't get clumped together. That's what you're lumps are made of. Clumped up protein. But, what do I know? I wouldn't trust me either.
not necessary to respectfully disagree, that's why I asked. I didn't think about that because I set the rules before I let a rep even approach me. Don't try to sell me anything! If they question why, I usually explain to them while dragging them out by their collar thatI will call if want to see different products. Then I'll ask, unless you think you might be more creative than me or know my operation better then myself.   I only have one rep I let in and that's because I...
I've made this a few times before. This is just me now. Don't boil the milk. If it's happening in the second stage it's not your yolks, it's your milk breaking. Bring it to a easy simmer, small bubbles around the outside of pot. It's really important to blend your cornstarch with the sugar well, before adding yolks. You shouldn't be able to identify the cornstarch from the sugar. Start with 50g. milk into yolk mixture. whisk that. If it looks a little clumpy, don't...
I'm correct in thinking that a sales rep doesn't have anything to do with the quality of product you receive unless it's a brand issue.   I also use a local depot for a few perishable items although some are quantity. I guess I'm fortunate because we have a local guy that has developed his own delivery business. I order and pay online, I attach him to my account so he has my card. He has quite a few accounts so his orders are ready to go and packed with insulated...