or Connect

Posts by panini

Chains are a different business animal. The may be holding on to your property for expensed loss. Especially if the have some killer properties.       Also your managers may be forecast paranoid. If the bean counters aren't bothering them, they may not want to increase business.    The managers are acting like they are making forecast. Hence, the short hours, etc. If they weren"t you would see changes or pressure. Normally if you show growth, maybe 5%. Your forecast for...
Adiós a mis amigos
@ChefBillyB , I had always felt the exact same way about my career.   For years, I've always heard about the passion that drives us. I sometimes felt that this was the only industry that had an understanding for passion. So much so, it almost validated all the ( abuse ) for lack of a nicer word.   It wasn't until I semi-retired, that I diversified my efforts and invested into other professions. I can now see that there is so much more in the world to observe. All jobs...
@e360 , Not sure what level of college you're in or what type of major you would be working towards. I can tell you that there are quite a few majors that will triple or quadruple your life time compensation than this industry. They will also provide you with a regular schedule and normal free time. IT, Engineering, Biology, Marketing, Economics,  Human Resources, etc.    Yes college is expensive, but no where near the cost incurred by the long hours and the toll on...
@ChefBillyB, Spot on!   For the giver of Titles, it alleviates some of the guilt associated with the abuse of long hours and under compensation. Over the past decades in this business, I've learned to separate the terms experience and maturity. A person can have 50 yrs. worth of experience and not be able to manage others.I personally feel management is 30% knowledge of task at hand and 70% maturity. A Sous Chef is part of a management team. As far as being the best cook...
@freshbaked ,  A Sous is really an extension of the Chef with additional duties. These are just my personal thoughts. I think these are the two most important things for you to succeed and accomplish your job description. Have a serious sit down with the Chef. Teaching and training is one thing, but you need to leave that first meeting knowing the Chef has your back unconditionally.   First meeting with crew has to include you and the Chef. The chain of command...
APPS This just dawned on me. I'm taking a blacksmithing class taught by a Danish gentleman. His quasi sign language is good but his English is horrible. I've been impressing him with my questions in Dutch. I'm using GOOGLE TRANSLATE, I use the audio, it's easy to use, seems to be very understandable, and best of all, it's free.   I just now checked some kitchen Spanish translations and they seem to be really good.
Chef, my preference, and because of my training, I don't like mad's that grow from the center out or hump. 40 yrs. ago while learning in Europe, if the Chef found my mad's to have a hump, they were dumped. Sometimes my oven would be a little to hot and they would get a pop. The Chef's hated this. I think mostly because it messed up their presentation for service. We always layered them like bricks on platters.   I like the to have an even amount of venting/cracking on the...
Chef, wasn't meant to be a slam. I guess what i was saying is that there is a pretty traditional method and procedure for croissant production. Fablesable was trying to get there. I just thought you might be trying to validate your method.  After mixing the dough, retarding it overnight is not proper. Cold dough and cold butter do not blend well. When the dough is mixed, it should chill for just a bit. Then add the malleable butter. If your butter starts to migrate out...
Chef, I'm not sure of the reason. I have always chilled the chocolate ones, but I also use a dark cocoa. I don't like using baking powder or combining eggs and yolks because it seems to give them an eggy flavor. is that a word?