or Connect

Posts by panini

Gosh,  I'm sorry i threw out the word consomme. All I was trying to say it that the ONLY time I heard the term CLEAR it was in reference to consomme, not stock, broth, gravy, soup,etc.   Then again, I don't understand a lot of the new generation Chef terms. " I'm going to laminate the puff now. oh? your taking it to Kinko's?" So everyone just forget consomme, but keep trying to explain terms, it's amusing.
I'm old enough to not recognize the term "Clear Stock", It's a relatively new term. I personally think it refers to a stock that is clear of flavor.   Coming up I can remember being deemed the tender of the new batch of stock. Usually a three day turn, from cutting bones, vege prep, sifting through discard for usable product, to guarding the raft for the consume. Which I consider "Clear Stock.   I also understand that overall taste buds have changed. Manufactured foods...
@Atatax , You're not missing anything. They are made to palm.  Personally, not for me. I'm very warm blooded. Wine gets to warm too fast.
Rita, You can't just omit the sugar from a sponge formula. You will need to use some sort of substitute. When you mix sponge the little bubbles attach to the sugar and expand while baking. If they have nothing to hold on to, they sink. does that make any sense?
I think that weddings are a tradition, and everyone spends a long time on how they perceive it should be. Many times when we sit for a consultation with a bride and groom and the parents from each side we encounter six different opinions of how the function should be. Many times there are such conflicting ideas it becomes a pissing match. The one funding the function usually has the notion that things should be done their way.   One holiday, I bought a referees shirt for...
I just want to explain my statement on there is risk and security on both sides. Say I'm having a fund raising event. I have 300 guests coming. I'm projecting 250.k in donations. I have paid 50% up front. Just before the event start: The food, servers, valet, etc. are a no-show. So now guests are waiting in cars with no valet and chose to bag the event because of the chaos. If I have paid 100% for services rendered, I now have an actionable claim to include collateral...
For the last 20 yrs. I've sat on the board of a local foundation supporting an orphan disease. I have probably booked, start to finish, 120+ catered functions. Whether it be a local venue, hotel, etc. funds and count were required before the function. We always had a card on file for higher count, bar, etc. This could be just our area. I always viewed this as a sort of security policy for both sides. just sayin 
My response was taking for granted they were not paying. My thought is that thy just refused to respond. In 20 yrs. had only had one bounced check and that was a mistake. We always give the benefit of the doubt unless there is no gray area. Wedding are crazy. People drop the ball all the time.   Also not sure where the confidence factor comes in with CC.  If I had something questionable going on, I think I'd take a check over CC. At least I can get immediate funds that...
@dlyles , Shouldn't be a problem. If the total payment was due last Saturday, make contact  again ASAP and inform them that you must stick to your contract. Tell them you'll agree not to charge for late payment if funds are received today before 5pm.  Also inform them that due to the past due funding you will only be able to accept cash. I would also tell them you have communication waiting to go registered mail to inform them that a late payment would constitute a...
I don't know @chefpeon , I wouldn't risk it and jump right out of the box now. I mean, you've only been kickin around here at ChefTalk for a decade or so. I think I remember you ventured back to the real world, so if you need help scaling down just let me know. >)