or Connect

Posts by panini

@Nicole McRae ,   I'm sorry my post was negative about making you own cake. My poor choice to profile based on your 'at home cook' and what appeared to be a lot of questions. To me, I think that cake is striking! Just enough garnish. Not too busy. Not rustic looking, but not a manufactured look.   If I had made that cake for my wife I would have been very proud of it. I have not seen to many cakes like that. the placement of fruit and things is well balanced.It is very...
I'm not sure a title exists for you. If i was to review your resume I would probably put it in my scattered/Liberal Arts pile. Your kind of like a Liberal Arts degree. You dabble, know a little bit about a lot of things but not a lot about one thing.   The worst thing I see is working off the books. Just really bad for everyone involved. If you got bashed over the head running to the grocery store, you're on your own. Sounds like you've been around long enough to know...
Back in the day, we used to insert 1/2 a shell to keep the alcohol in one place. Most of the time the waiters would parade in the room with a full Alaska and cut and serve at the table. It was tradition to carry the trays level with the shoulders. If the alcohol was not contained, one slight tip of the tray would result in a toupee blaze. Which reminds me, one day I must tell you about my first service using a Gueridon. Mr Sinatra's table after a show. Everything was...
I'm old enough to remember when somebody would mention seeding, the chefs would boo hoo. I was in Europe and all our tempering was done on marble. When seeding became popular I took to it. I've seeded for a long time, probably a fraction of what @foodpump has. I just wanted to add to your seeding explanation. I have found if I'm melting coins, I don't seed with coins. I find that seeding with a smaller cut portion(chopped) expedites the temper and usually gives you more...
@chefwriter , If it ever does become bothersome, give it some paint and display it with a few pots of plants. I have two in the house. I also have a candy stove from the 1900's. I removed some rings and placed a large copper bowl on top, and my better half planted some terrarium type plants. It gets compliments all the time. It's certainly not portable even with legs. Must weigh 300 lbs. Very convenient though, just toss a few ice cubes in once in a while. No...
@Pete , For a couple of decades now it's SOP not to go outside our box. We tracked our numbers last year and we refer between 10-16% of our consultations               because the client or Mom after multiple tastings were looking for something different. We learned 20 yrs. ago we don't accept recipes that have been brought in by customers.               Hundreds used to ask us if we could make the cake their Grandmother used to make. It was the best thing they ever...
@kuan ,   I have to say that the volume of bid sheets have decreased over the years. Now I mainly bid out the products with volatile prices.Dairy, nuts,etc. I now produce and retail out of 1200 SQ. Ft. but still go through 400 lbs. butter and many cases of Heavy Cream. The heavy cream has been a nightmare lately. I have this lab that I send cream so much, they know my voice on the phone. I'm an ass sometimes. The dairies know damn well the fat content. They'll still let...
@foodpump , makes a point. The first thing I thought reading your post was that those people used to the squares might feel cheated by the round.  How does one roll out dough and get a square shape? Is this thin or thick pie. Do you use a sheeter? I think the size of your large round size will be dictated by the availability of boxes. What's it like when you have to spin the squares for hot spots? Are you using a conveyor? I personally choose semolina over corn...
@HappyHelen ,   They are not that easy to track down. We finally found a source a couple of years ago that had food grade sheets. They have to be extruded for some reason. We even had them hinge 3 sides for us. The hinges and glue are also food safe. Not sure, they might apply the hing with heat. We used the tri fold with a piece on the bottom and one on the top. I think is was Professional Plastics thought not sure. I replace everything. We can turn the tri folds into...
Ntr disagreeing with anyone. But there is a difference between bulk retard and shaped retard. If you shape retard, I suggest that going from the fridge into the oven is no bueno. +1 for Brian, your oven should be hotter for simple yeast breads. To the OP, there is no sugar or salt in this recipe? 99% of the time when you cold retard you need to cut back on the yeast so it can develop slowly. Slow development creates flavor and depth. Otherwise, no reason to do it except...