or Connect

Posts by teamfat

Walking home from dinner my wife and I stopped at Whole Foods.  She was looking for some specific crackers a friend had mentioned, I was causally scanning the spice rack.  I never thought to look for berbere powder there.  Some of you may remember it is a key ingredient to one of the dishes offered up in this discussion a while back.  I'll be making some soon.   Gee, forgot what I was really going to say.  My first thought was Korean bulgogi or galbi, but the fish sauce...
One thing I will mention is that if you use nitrates ( pink salt, Morton Tender Quick, etc. ) you want to measure it fairly accurately.  The aromatics, sugar and what else can be by guess and by gosh.   mjb.
The recipes are  pretty similar, the one you posted is great for getting started.  There are 2 basic approaches dry cure and wet cure.  The first uses no liquid, the wet cure method uses a brine.  When doing a dry cure, however, the salt will draw water out of the belly, so you get a self-brining effect, so to speak.  There are a lot of recipes on the net.  This one has some nice...
Some sort of dough filled with the parsnip mixture, like ravioli or empanada, or pierogi.  I'm leaning towards ravioli.   mjb.
I'll take some photos tomorrow and post those with a description of the whole process.   mjb.
Bacon?  Salt pork?
 Sure.  Stop on by.
  Just checked the firmness of this garlic bacon slab.  I'll be firing up the smoker tomorrow.   mjb.
Cool!  Our house was on Darden Road, about half a mile west of the old TB hospital, a couple miles west of Notre Dame.  My dad was a big fan of their football team.
Welcome to Cheftalk.