or Connect

Posts by teamfat

Zest in the marinade would have been nice, will do that next time. There was a taste of lemon in the skin, but not much.   And yes, Jake, no problem. Actually that reminds me of a song about built for comfort, not for speed.   mjb.
This topic inspired last night's dinner.     Chicken thighs, fresh Greek oregano from the garden, garlic, lemon, salt, pepper and olive oil all went into a baggie to marinate for about an hour or so.  Then onto the charcoal:     I had to get back to work for my evening pickups, no nice presentation. But it was quite tasty, could have used a bit more lemon. Grilled chicken, done well, not well done, is a favorite of mine.   mjb.
My key to happiness:  
I have a question regarding the childrens menu - are the kids you use fresh or previously frozen?   mjb.
Gosh, what timing. For this coming Sunday, Easter, I'll be doing a side dish for the park, and just decided on cauliflower gratin in the crock pot. And I'll probably top with mozz and parm, though one doesn't get that crispy, browned crust.   mjb.
I did beef enchiladas tonight, made with some of the leftover roast from this meal, French Dips.     A basic rump roast. Seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, I laid it on a bed of onion slices in a cat iron skillet, into a 375 F oven for just over an hour.     Just about right:     Added some beef broth to the hot skillet, a little worcestershire sauce to make the dipping juice.  These slices were sliced again across the grain into thin...
Cold smoking is mainly for flavor.  The salt cure should extract most of the moisture from the fish. Depending on the thickness of the piece it should cure for about 2 - 3 days. It is ready when it feels firm. Assuming you cure it in a plastic bag in the fridge, turn the bag over once in a while, you'll get a feel for the fish tightening up.     Can't remember if this is the batch I did for the brunch challenge. It looks darker than basic lox because dark, smoked tea...
I avoid disturbing the bones as much as I can during stock making. The beef stock I am dipping into for various dishes for this month's challenge probably spent over 3 days all told, steeping at about 185 - 190 F.  Maybe next batch I'll put a stopwatch on it.   Have not had a pressure cooker for many years, just got a pressure canning setup this past fall for canning. Maybe I'll try making stock under pressure, see how it compares with the long steep method.   mjb.
 Glad to hear you finally get something decent.  I am spoiled, this place is like 625 feet from my house. City Weekly, a local arts, entertainment, etc. paper called them 'The best thing since sliced bread.' https://bagelproject.com/  
Went to the store to get the stuff for the pot for the homeless.Was debating what to do when I walked in, saw a cooler by the door with beef chuck on sale. Now I know what to do. Got beans, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes ...     389 fed this morning, a couple dozen got a taste of my beef and beans.     Tossing in some of my home made red chili sauce added a nice touch.   mjb. .