or Connect

Posts by teamfat

My guess is that cooking rice in a pressure cooker would turn it into glue.   mjb.
Our best beer ever was an all grain lager. It looked a lot like Budweiser. That was the only resemblance, trust me. Oh so good.  But we did make some pretty good extract based beers over the years. At roughly 40 batches per year spanning 20 years, we got a lot of practice.   mjb.
I brewed for 20 some years, started back in 1984, perhaps, give or take a year.  Back then beer selection, especially here in Utah, was pathetic. Either domestic fizzwater or stale imports that spent way too long on a boat under bad conditions.  These days I can pop into The Bayou - today's beer count:  426. And no, I've not tried them all.   I keep thinking about getting back into doing occasional 5 gallon extract batches, RealSoonNow.   mjb.
I'll definitely work on another hunk of this:     This is a brown sugar and maple buckboard bacon, made from a hunk of shoulder. It was cold smoked for a few days, was very tasty. And I'll be pickin up some bellies tomorrow for sure.   mjb.
Maybe it isn't a public group.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSaltCuredPickle/     mjb.
If you do facebook look into a group called The Salt Cured Pickle.   mjb.
A few years back we invited our vet over for dinner. Actually it was something we did every couple of months or so, he was a single guy who was in the midst of getting a new place up and running. He was always working, and rarely got a decent meal. And we had no problem with him responding to an emergency and leaving in the middle of dinner. He always brought good wine.   Anyway, one spring evening the main dish was beef tenderloin. I bought a whole pismo, probably one...
The one place I knew about in Salt Lake, actually down in Midvale,  that had Cheese Whiz as an option closed a while back. There may be others around town.   mjb.
Having hosted a few times I can certainly agree that picking the best dish can be troublesome. Without tasting, or even being able to get a whiff, there's not much to go on.   I will say that I was expecting a few approaches that were not well represented. Slow smoked brisket, a bowl of Texas Red. Yorkshire puddings along side the roast joint. Tartare - I was planning on doing a lobster tail with a bison tartare combo, pickled mustard seeds, asparagus tips and such on...
I like to use these challenges to make myself try new things. Like beef tongue pastrami.   The Players     Pretty straightforward, a beef tongue and spices.     In this case we have some bay leaves, cinnamon, salt and a mix of black peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and allspice berries.   The Procedure   The seeds and cinnamon stick were toasted in a dry skillet until fragrant. Enough water to cover the tongue was boiled in a pot, the salt and...