or Connect

Posts by teamfat

165 is about the temp that the magic starts to happen., usually closer to 170. I don't use a thermometer much now, but back in earlier days I did.  When a particular hunk of pork gets to the plateau temp it can go up or down a few degrees during the process, and for typical 7 - 9 pound hunk of shoulder the process takes at least an hour, if not two. The recipe in the original post was doomed to failure from the start.   mjb.
Yes. Whole spices like cloves, coriander, cinnamon bark and such that are toasted in a dry pan until fragrant and then ground are WAY better than preground versions.   mjb.
Oh, those look SO GOOD!
Actually it is a commercial for high speed digital phone service, I think. What a hoot!   mjb.
  Rest in Peace, Bobby Keys, sax player for the Rolling Stones.   mjb.
French Fries' suggestions sound good. I'd be tempted to add a bit of fresh greenery to the second marinade, such as chopped green onion tops or oregano, perhaps cilantro if you enjoy it.   mjb.
I may have to get a bone in turkey breast along with some necks and wings mostly for the purpose of making turkey noodle soup. With home made noodles, apropos the flour challenge.   mjb.
That is one thing about traveling for holidays - hard to bring back leftovers on the plane. And the host for this year's dinner is not that much of a cook. The stuff she chucked into the garbage could have been used for several good meals.  Sigh.   mjb.
How many steak cooking threads has this site seen since it began?   There's this Australian film called "The Castle" that has one scene in it where the folks are having a nice grilled dinner. The "cook" comes to the table with this platter of dense black blobs, asks "Who was medium rare?" and then clunks one of the chunks onto the respondent's plate. I got a nice chuckle out of that scene.  Should have remembered it for last month's challenge!   mjb.
Great. An obscure ingredient with such a limited range of uses. I guess I'll have to try and come up with something interesting like bread, pies, cakes, cookies, pasta, pasties, beef wellington, empanadas, tortillas, pitas, pizza, spaetzle, chicken fried steak, chicken fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, paprikash with egg noodles, egg rolls, wontons, haluski, ...   mjb.