or Connect

Posts by teamfat

A couple of months ago we went to a birthday party, a friend of ours just turned 50. So I took a dish that was probably a staple 50 years ago, chile mac. Basically browned ground beef, chile sauce and elbow macaroni. Folks enjoyed it, many talked about how often they ate it as kids decades ago.  Mission accomplished.   mjb.
Never heard of it.   mjb.
Love smoked tomatoes!   mjb.
I make quick pickles ( quickles? ) all the time and keep meaning to try a batch of real fermented dills.  Soon.   mjb.
One of the plants I did this year was red Caribbean habanero. Finally got some ripe ones:     The longer peppers one the outside are aji crystal, similar heat level to serrano. The red habs are hotter than basic orange ones, maybe twice as much.  A favorite use of habs is Jamaican jerk. So I used three of my red habs, 3 of the ajis and a bunch of other stuff to make a wet rub. This time I tried something a bit different and made a fairly thick paste, rather than a...
A favorite dish of mine is shortribs braised in dark beer with fennel bulb and tart cherries.   mjb.
One dish I like is haluski, I think it is called. It is a mix of cabbage, onions, bacon and egg noodles.   And of course braised cabbage, stuffed cabbage leaves, kimchee, slaws of various styles, and of course      
I really like lemongrass beef, maybe I'll try it with asparagus next time. mjb.
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/burger_king_goes_goth_in_japan_with_their_black_burger     mjb.   (Apologies to the Rolling Stones)
When I said "roasting" I was referring to searing off a steak, then finishing to final temp in an oven.  Hmm, I can't remember how long it has been since I asked "How thick is the thickest steak? How thin is the thinnest roast?"   mjb.