or Connect

Posts by teamfat

You mentioned meat, but I am assuming uncured.  You may want to look into charcuterie - salami, proscuitto, brasola, lomo - a very wide range.  I'm not talking Gallo and Boar's Head here, I'm talking handcrafted, artisan jewels from the hands of the masters of salt, meat and time.   Do you live in a large city?   mjb.
The post I just made in another thread referencing the Actor Paul Newman and his love of sports car racing made me think. I doubt many of you know other things I've done in previous lives.  You can't see my face here, but trust me.     This one was taken during an autocross, where you drive through cones in a big parking lot as fast as you can.     Here's one during a real wheel to wheel race with other cars. Being in the smallest, lowest power car out there all...
Thinking about famous folks just wanting to relax and be normal Paul Newman came to mind. You know, the actor.   What you may not know is that he was also a sports car guy and serious racer.  He won the 1976 SCCA D Production National Championship, in a Triumph TR6. For you non-car folks, think Michelin stars.   Anyway, I never got to meet him at any races, but I heard he was quite an interesting fellow. He would hang out drinking beer, talking racing and cars and...
This is just from memory, but I recall the last known case of a human getting trichinosis was in 1967, when a Georgia man ate a wild boar he shot in the woods.   I would eat Iberico tartare.   mjb.
Okay, I lied. I doubt chefs of their caliber will EVER enter my home for a meal. But if you know Rick Bayless, you know he knows Mexican. And the people on the planet who know more than Eric Ripart about cooking fish can be counted on the fingers of one hand.   I do like fish tacos, though.   mjb.
It is easy. I've probsbly never actually made two exact same batches of sauce, but my basic recipe goes something like this:   Sweat 1/2 onion, finely chopped, and 2 - 3 cloves of minced garlic in 1 - 2  T oil   When soft and transparent add   1/2 cup catsup 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup cider vinegar 2 T molasses 2 T Worcestershire sauce 1 t ground black pepper 1 t ground cumin 1 t dry mustard ( or a couple squirts of the yellow stuff from the bottle ) 1 t chili...
Did something tonight I've not done in quite some time, a Jamaican jerk marinade, or more of a wet rub. Some chicken thigh meat soaked for a couple hours, then onto the grill.     Quite tasty. I have some country style ribs that will go on the grill tomorrow, after marinating all night.   The best part of the prep was toasting the spices - I used coriander seeds, cloves, allspice berries, half a nutmeg, a cinnamon stick, black peppercorns - always a pleasant aroma. ...
Spoke too soon. It came back.   AARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!
Luckily the one that was causing me trouble yesterday is gone now, back to normal for me.
I think marinating Iberico pork would be akin to putting ketchup on caviar. I'm jealous.   mjb.