or Connect

Posts by teamfat

Yes, there are a LOT of people who help, on the order of dozens. Some just cook up a small pot or two to share, some help with the setup, serving and cleanup at the park. I'm just one of the little cogs in the bigger machine.  I was happy to go from a 3 quart crockpot to a 6, now I feel only half as inadequate as I used to ;-) Having a senior moment - there was a very well paid basketball player for the Utah Jazz that was into it, he and his wife put both time and money...
Well sad to say Joe Cocker passed away today. There are a few of you out there of the appropriate age and experience to relate.  
Was rummaging in the pantry looking for something, found a box of Jiffy mix.  Decided to bake it. Mixed the batter, added a handful of cheese. Poured it into a hot iron skillet with some bacon fat in it, hot oven for 20 minutes.   I had forgotten how *sweet* the Jiffy mix can be.  Think I'll stick with the products from "boutique" mills.   mjb.
I make things that I myself like for the park, and I do like blackeye peas!   mjb.
No doubt there are many small. family mills back east that have been in business for generations.  Any grits or cornmeal produced west of the Mississippi just doesn't cut it.   mjb.
 I can relate. Some years ago we had family Thanksgiving at our house. I planned on having most of the second turkey as leftovers for a while. Irene's two boys destroyed that plan. mjb.
A friend of mine who recently married a woman from North Carolina turned me onto these products:   http://www.lakesidemills.com/yeltons_best_products.htm   Grits and cornbread are not exactly main staples of the Utah diet, so it was nice to find a source of some authentic stuff that makes cornbread and grits like I remember.   mjb.
Stopped at Restaurant Depot, spent fifty bucks on a 25 pound sack of beans and an 11 pound pork belly. That's going to make a lot of beans and bacon for some hungry little tummies over the winter months. Well, the belly isn't bacon yet, but I know how to fix that.   mjb.
My favorite side with salmon is steamed asparagus with a butter based sauce.   mjb.