or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Tri2Cook

Control your cheesecake texture by using a thermometer. The next time you bake one of your cheesecakes that you like the texture of, take the temp in the center when you pull it. Go with that temp and you'll get that texture no matter how thick or thin you make it. Time will only be an accurate guide after you've had a successful run and kept track of how long it took... and you'll have to figure that out for every thickness you decide to do and maybe even every oven you...
If you're asking if it should be ok to serve customers dining together at the same table their meals at different times according to when the kitchen gets around to getting each one done, no. That is not acceptable. I don't care if it removes pressure from the kitchen. There is no way to present that as a good idea. The table that seats together, eats together.
The ph of fruit purees can vary. Do you have a way to test the ph? If not, maybe try going up on the sodium citrate a bit (assuming that's what you used). I prefer using gluconate-lactate to the chloride. Much less bitter, and if you add it to the base and drop it an alginate bath it seems to handle acidity better than the other way around. I don't think that should be an issue if you're adding something to buffer it though, that's just my personal preference. Accuracy in...
It's a beautiful book. I pre-ordered mine over a year ago so I have one of the signed copies with the special slipcover but it's an awesome book with or without that. Regarding equipment, I would say 90% of the stuff in the book can be done at home in an average kitchen by the creative and determined cook and the other 10% can be done well enough to get the point without buying a bunch of special equipment. The official website to accompany the book (alinea mosaic) is a...
Spreading it out and giving it a light spray with cocoa butter while tossing it around a time or three works pretty good too. I do that when I'm going to use it in something that doesn't include chocolate as a component.
Placing balloons full of chocolate mousse in front of the diners in a fine dining restaurant and instructing them to pop the balloons with a pin would definitely be good for a laugh. Probably not from many of the diners though (although, if I were one of the diners and fell for it, I'd probably laugh). I think you're more on the right track with candies if the chef is determined to do this. Just cross your fingers that there are no whiners in the room if a piece of balloon...
There was another discussion on this topic here: http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/profe...-shooters.html Just in case it helps.
Most of my "oops" stories involve small, easy jobs. Things always seem to go pretty well for the larger jobs. Maybe I'm more worried about the potential for disaster with the large jobs and focus a little more. I don't know. The most recent "oops" was a small deliver and leave it dinner for a band and crew that was coming to town as part of the local "entertainment series". Everything was to be there for 5:10 pm because they wanted to eat at precisely 5:30 pm (it was...
I do a fall dessert I call mac 'n' cheese that involves a stilton cheesecake (yes, it's sweet), a walnut-sucanat shortbread and caramelized mcintosh apples.
Yeah, I'm not sure about how suitable it would be because I don't know the setting. Some wedding receptions/dinners are very informal and relaxed, some are formal large scale fine dining and some are everything in between. I do my very best to avoid taking wedding jobs (sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do though), too many indecisive people claiming to have decision making authority combined with a stressed out bride constantly second guessing her decisions is just...
New Posts  All Forums: