or Connect

Posts by gingameggs

Hi Gummy-Bear,   I know this thread is a couple years old, but I recently was asked to make a rum cake for a small get together and am out looking for a recipe again.  I would prefer a family tried and true recipe and you had offered your family recipe before, so I am wondering if you would mind still posting your recipe?  I did try the one BDL suggested and it was good, but I was wanting to try another one.    Thanks!   gingameggs
Today's Cookbok Prize is: Tastes Like Cuba: An Exile's Hunger for Home by Eduardo Machado (Author), Michael Domitrovich (Author)[/SIZE][/QUOTE] Wow, I was so surprised to hear I had won and I am so excited to try out some Cuban cooking! Yum!!! I can't wait to see the recipes!!! :bounce: gingameggs
I am going to make a cake for a birthday, but the date of the party got changed by a few days and I must make the cake ahead of time. I do not want it to go bad or get stale before the actual party (since we are planning on actually eating it), but how far in advance can I make the cake and still have it taste and look good? The planned cake is a 6 layer yellow cake with filling between layers (not sure what kind yet) and rolled fondant covering with meringue on top -...
I have read many suggestions of using playdough for poured sugar shaping and am going to give it a try. But most of the posts I have read are not specifically saying if store bought "Playdoh" is okay to use, or if I should use a recipe for homemade playdough instead. If it is the homemade kind, does anyone have a recipe they wouldn't mind sharing that has worked for them before? I have a few recipes that I found online, but I am not sure if there some specific...
tessa, I will definitely try that, but wouldn't putting the pan directly in the water kind of... boil it instead? I have no clue, but just wondering. Either way, I will give it a try this weekend and see if it works better, thanks for the help! :) ginger
I am trying to make puto (a Filipino steamed rice cake) that I used to make with my mom as a kid. I can't ask her help, so I am hoping someone here will be able to help. I have a great recipe, but can't remember just how we used to steam them. We used to make ours in mini-muffin tins (we liked the small size) and then steam them in the oven somehow, but when I tried this last night the puto got a ... kind of a ... crust on the top. It wasn't a crunchy, crunchy crust,...
Well, I looked up the recipe on allrecipes.com and the picture looks quite yummy, but I know for sure the family did not put mayo on theirs! Too me it does not sound appealing, but worth a try to see how it truly tastes. Perhaps I'll try this recipe this summer as well. I am still in search of a recipe using fresh crema though as I know that for sure was in the family's recipe and made it super yummy! But thanks for the help Ameliah! Well, I can't be sure the...
The mom who was the one who made it said it had another name, but they called it "crazy corn" in the US, so perhaps "elote" is another name for it. Would you know a reciepe with "elote" that sounds similar?
A family I worked for once made me some "Crazy corn" quite a few years back. The family was hispanic, but I am not sure if other ethnicities make a similar food like this. I am wondering if anyone knows the real recipe for this? I know a little of the recipe: Boil or grill corn on the cob in the husk. Peel back husk, lightly butter, then close back in the husk as you continue to butter other corn. Open husk again and pull the husk off of the corn. Spread on fresh...
I took a look at the Barefoot Contessa's recipe and will definitely give it a try (though if Gummy-Bear posts the family recipe, I will give that one a try as well), but question now is - based on the Contessa's recipe - can I use a regular mixing... uh... mixers if I don't have a paddle attachment (as she says to use in her recipe)? Or will it ruin the cake? I don't currently have access to a paddle attachment for the mixer I have right now, but i really would like to...