or Connect

Posts by Powderdog

I went on the internet to identify a weed that has taken over my garden and found that I have been missing a really great wild vegetable, Purslane.  Chefs in NY are paying $7 / lb. for the stuff.  Google for it and you can find out all about it and the great health benefits from it.  Here is how I prepared it last night:   bunch of brocoli fist full of purslane half a large hot dried chili 3 cloves garlic olive oil salt   Separate the brocoli florets...
Wow, I think I hit the jackpot of information here.  Many thanks to all.  I'm well aware that there is no single "authentic" recipe for sauerbraten but now I have a pretty good handle on what is traditional with old time Germans.  I notice that certain ingredients show up repeatedly in different recipes so I take that as an indication that those are "authentic".  My theory is that sauerbraten was as much a "method" as a recipe and that it probably started thousands of...
If I can ever find out what spices go into "Sauerbraten Seasoning",  I'll send you a very authentic recipe for sauerbraten.  If there were going to be a national dish for Germany, it would be sauerbraten, in my opinion, but I'm sure there would be others equally qualified.  There are many recipes for sauerbraten out there and most of them, though tasty, I'm sure, really miss the mark when it comes to the real thing.  For one thing, it takes 3 days of marinating.  For...
Are there any Germans out there who know what spices go into sauerbraten seasoning ?  There are zillions of sauerbraten recipes on the web and I'm  sure they are all tasty but I want to make authentic German Sauerbraten using the right seasoning.  I know the method and everything else but I really would like to know what goes into that "sauerbraten seasoning".  I have the juniper berries, bay leaves and peppercorns but the only way I can get the "sauerbraten seasoning"...
I haven't opened it yet; it's not supposed to be ready for another month.  It looks only slightly clowded; almost clear; nothing suspicious looking.  I noticed after I closed it up that I was supposed to cut the ends of the cucumbers off but didn't .  If I remember a month from now (and haven't died from eating them), I'll let you know how they turned out.
Pie can also be eliptical provided that the two axis are of equal length.
A couple of weeks ago I put up a quart of Kosher style pickles by the canning method (hot water bath).  The top of the jar is depressed downward indicating a partial vacuum within.  This tells me that  there is no fermentation going on; is there supposed to be?  The recipe says that they will be ready in about 2 months.  Maybe the Kosher style doesn't involve fermentation (?).
Well I found out what I needed to know; the Harsch crock is totally unsuited for souring one head of cabbage.  The problem is that the opening in the top of the 10 liter size is too small to fit a head of cabbage through.  I managed to squeeze it through with some damage to the cabbage but then the weights just slip off to the side instead of holding the cabbage down.  Also, it then took 22 cups of brine to cover the top of the cabbage.  Don't ask me how I'm going to get...
D = C / Pi
Should I send my head to the Harsch company or have them send the crock for a fitting? >Just remember to weight the cabbage so it stays under the liquid.  You can use a plate that fits within the crock,  with a rock on top.< With the Harsch crock you don't need that; it comes with a fitted weight that seals it and also prevents the mold from forming so you don't have to do anything after you put in the ingredients.  I've read a number of user reviews and they all...