or Connect

Posts by chefinfrance

As promised recipe from the Lady hanah book of 1747. Beef Royal Take a surloin of beef, or large rump, bone it and beat it very well, then lard it with bacon, feafon it with salt, pepper, mace,cloves and nutmeg, all beat fine, fome lemon-peel cut fmall and fome sweet herbs. in the mean time make ftrong broth of the bones, take a piece of butter with a little flower brown it, put in the beef, keep it turning often till it is brown, then ftrain the broth, put all together...
[QUOTE=boar_d_laze;283912]Modern French may be as it may be, but the OED as well as every other responsible etymological source I could find on the net, cites the origin of the term "sirloin," as the ME (middle English) "surloine," which in turn was derived from the OF (old French) "surlonge," which itself was a contraction of "sur la longe." The original question posted by Kuan was ' Is there any classic preperations for top sirloin' my responce was to that question...
As I pointed out the French have two names for cut from tthe sirloin, entrecote [between the bone] and faux filet [false fillet] they do not use the word loin so whilst my idea of Henry viii may or maynot be true the idea of surloin as no chance of being true. Just for the record sur means on, as in oeuf sur le plate [egg on a dish] and sous means under as in sous chef. There may of course be a differences in the cut between England and America. In these days of flowery...
One for all you trivia fans. you have loin of lamb and pork story goes Henry viii favorite cut of beef was loin so he knighted the joint hence Sir loin. Any classic recipe for Entrecote or faux fillet. Bordalaise , Marchand du vin, poivre vert jump out but there are many, many more. Steve
There are soccer players then there is David Beckham its the same with chefs. If you have a passion and desire to be the best then chase that dream you might not make it but its worth the effort . Best of luck Steve
Robe de chambre is a potatoe cooked in its skin [pomme robe de chambre=== potatoes in dressing gowns] However robe de champs does translate to dress [gown] of the field which would suggest the vegetables are cooked in thier skins. Carottes jaune du doubs yellow carrots of daubs. 'jaune obtus de doubs' is a stumpy yellow carrot from doubs France Rutabaga jaune champion yellow swede champion. As far as i am aware there is no dish called champion, champion is the same in...
Its a bit dificult this one never heard of some one being able to make Hollandaise in one place and not another. The most obvious answer is you are adding too much water and not enough heat at work this would produce too much volume [fluffy] before you reach the ribbon stage. Hollandaise sauce however should only have egg yolks, salt, pepper,lemon juice and clarified butter in its ingredients.Add to your Hollandaise Vinaiger, shallot reduction and tarragon to make sauce...
I am afraid teamfat is of the mark, chuck is the neck and the upper part of the shoulder and does not come from any other part of a cow. Some people may include a little bit of the end of the rib but thats bad butchery. Ed was close but confyused the issue with sub cuts the French have sub cuts but in the states chuck is neck. Best of look Steve masterchefinfrance
It may be different in the USA than in Europe but here its not about taking an exam its about a accumalation of knowledge and skills. You must have a formal training and aquired lots of experiance over many years and of course you must be a lot better than good. Steve masterchefinfrance
I think the point as some merit, a good example for me would be pea puree, it seems to apear on so many menus and is quite obviosly made from frozen peas, if it was not fashionable critics would mark you down for using a frozen product. Although some sea salt is like crushed glass and adds nothing to a dish, there is of course fleur de sel from the Camargue in France, if you have not tried it then I suggest you do, you may be suprised by how good it is. Personaly I love...