or Connect

Posts by RouxTheDay

I'm making a big pot of it this weekend with my own adaptations (basically, lots more vegetables to make it more of a hearty stew than a sauced braise). So I was surfing for recipes to see if there were any techniques or variations I'd like to try out, and found it interesting that there seems to be an even divide on meat prep. One school of thought calls for standard browning of the meat, with the wine going in afterward. The other calls for marinating the raw beef and...
12 hours??? In an oven? While you're not at home? Personally, I think that's WAY too long, even for chuck. I don't even do it in a slow cooker that long. And I wouldn't ever leave something cooking in an oven that long while I wasn't home. Do you have a slow cooker (e.g., Crock Pot)? That would be a lot safer. But no matter what, i think 12 hours is at least 50% longer than I'd recommend. I'd use the slow cooker overnight and stick it in the fridge before leaving in the...
U.S. paper currency has been going through a redesign process for a while now... when the new $20 bill first came out, it took some getting used to, even for a world-traveller like me! Anyway, here's the official line from the U.S. Treasury: The Redesigned Currency: Safer, Smarter, More Secure. In keeping with the strategy of maintaining the security of our currency by enhancing the designs every 7 – 10 years, a new series of U.S. currency is being issued, beginning with...
Um... food-related message boards? :p
Dunno whether the food trends in the UK mirrored the US, but a few things I remember are Fondue. Fondue restaurants. Fondue parties. Fondue sets. This reached almost frenzied popularity, at least on the West Coast. Catalina Dressing. A very sweet, slightly tomatoey salad dressing by Kraft. Ideally, served on a salad of nothing but iceberg lettuce and tomatoes, maybe some shaved carrot or croutons. We kids, especially, were in love with this stuff. Skillet ground-beef...
Here's a link to the document grant mentioned (thanks for that! I've been wanting it!): http://quicktips.cooksillustrated.co...5_Cookware.pdf Another good site is Consumer Search, which consolidates reviews of products from multiple sources: Cookware Reviews; Stainless Steel Cookware Reviews
Jason, if I understand where you're at right now, in terms of expertise and outfitting a kitchen, I'd try to read through all the information posted here. Much of it is admittedly excellent, but possibly a bit too far up the experience curve for you. My own opinions on the most essential pieces in a home kitchen, especially when you first start building a collection of good-quality cookware: 1. As a general rule, do not buy cookware sets. You'll get stuck with stuff you...
While I agree that it can be annoying to run across these abbreviations in modern sources, you need to recognize is that this is a VERY old style of notation. It's not laziness or sloppiness on the part of the person providing the recipe. It's something he or she was either taught (in school, at home, etc.), or is the way an old, original recipe was written. It's not an incorrect form, it's just fallen out of favor, largely because it's not compatible with things being...
One other piece of advice. If you don't already own a good, general cookbook, such as Joy of Cooking do go invest in one. Not only do they provide good, reliable, basic recipes, most of which rely on traditional herbs and spices, they also have indexes that describe ingredients, their common uses, and sometimes, suitable substitutions. Also, a quick google of "spice chart" got me a bunch of sites that list common spices and their uses. They are VERY generalized, and I...
Love your handle, BDL! Right up my alley... I was just noticing your trail of locations, and had to laugh. I think we may be ships passing in the night. I'm currently in South Orange County, but originally hail from Burbank, just around the corner from where you are now. And my folks live in the Bay Area, so I'm up there a lot... Anyway. Welcome a-board!