or Connect

Posts by tmk

Thanks for the interesting post, Bob. I've played with home-ground meats and sausages every now and then since first getting a Kitchenaid with grinder/stuffer attachment. I hope you don't mind a little thread hijack, but I dearly love (oh, I hate to admit this) McDonald's breakfast sausage. Boy, that hurt to say. Does anybody have any clues to a spice mix that might get me close to Mickey D's? Thanks, Tom
Thanks for the responses, guys. I have been using white flour, specifically a "short patent" bread flour. I knead with a Kitchenaid mixer. My techniques have evolved toward a wetter dough and longer knead time. I will continue further in that direction and also try less yeast and longer rise time. Thanks again, Tom
In the never-ending quest to bake a decent loaf of bread, I questioned my 92-year-old father about his mother's bread-baking. She was a farm wife in western Kansas who baked bread twice a week for over fifty years of married life. She learned baking from her mother who as an German immigrant homesteader baked in Dodge City during the cattle drive days. (She even saw a couple af rough-necks shot down in the streets of Dodge.) Dad didn't remember much about Grandma's baking...
Hi, Can someone give me a short primer on different types of flour. Especially I'd like to know what is 'short patent'. I've been using a short patent flour called Hudson Cream Bread Flour. I understand that bread flour is higher in protein. And I've heard of king flour and queen flour but I don't really know what those terms mean. Thanks, Tom
Thanks for the replies--I kinda thought it might be the whole milk vs. part skim thing. I guess I'll have to start driving 40 miles for mozza like I do for parmesan. Special thanks to Mike. It's good to know I can recycle the chunk of Kraft in the fridge to pave the driveway. Best, Tom
Why doesn't the mozzarella I bring home from IGA (usually Kraft) taste or act like the cheese at a pizzeria? Is it technique? Is it heat/equipment? Is it the cheese itself? If it's the cheese where can I find the good stuff (I live in a rural area)? And what do I look for to identify the good stuff? Thanks, Tom
Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to learning and sharing. As far as my love of cooking, that came mostly from a love of eating!. More seriously, Mom was a really solid, good cook if somewhat pedestrian--farm girl who cooked good, wholesome food but was always up to try new things as her limited means would allow. Also, she was determined that her four boys would never expect a woman to wait on them and that meant being able to help or better in the kitchen. Beyond...
I'm an avid amateur cook, by no means a chef. I hope I'm welcome here 'cause every time I try to stretch my skills I end up with more questions than answers. Best, Tom