or Connect

Posts by boar_d_laze

Yes, it's probably safe, but it's not good food handling.  If, for some reason, you want to braise in the same liquid you used as a marinade (completely unnecessary), you should strain the marinade, boil it separately for a few minutes at a hard boil, reduce to a simmer for a few more minutes, then re-introduce it to the food.     Neither, for several reasons, is your method good braising technique.  For instance, there's simply no need to marinate meat before...
If I'm making a gravlaks type cure, followed by a very light, cold smoke; I sprinkle the fish salt, sugar, and press the fish with herbs (dill, usually), sprinkle a little booze (gin, Vermouth or a fruity white or rose, or a flowery white like a Riesling), press two pieces together face to face, wrap in cling wrap, and press with a weighted pan.  Every 8 to 12 hours, I unwrap, drain the liquid, and turn the fish.  This can go from 1 day to as long as 3.    If you're...
Smoking with a pit like yours is more about fire management than anything else.  Your next steps are to purchase (a) a book which has a LOT of information about smoking in a Weber Kettler (Steve Raichlen is very good with WKs), and (b) some thermometers (or a combination thermometer) for reading pit temp and meat internal.    Otherwise, it's too late for me to give meaningful advice about this cook, so we'll talk sometime next week if you still want.    Happy...
Fun is a factor, so is appearance, so is anything else you want to be important.  It's your money.    For good or for ill, lasers all look pretty much alike; although, you can get a custom handle if you want.     Blades with "interesting" designs and finishes are san-mai more than not, and therefore not lasers.  That isn't to say you can't find something both thin and san-mai.    The more specific you are about what you want, the better able I'll be to direct...
Mizu is Aogami #2 carbon clad in kurouchi carbon.  As with other kurouchi carbon jigane / carbon hagane  san-mai knives, the kurouchi finish will provide some protection against corrosion but is far from impervious.  All kurouchi finishes eventually wear off, some faster than others.  I don't have any experience with the Mizu to compare it with known quantities like Takeda (hard wearing) or Moritaka (goes quickly) to place in on the kurouchi continuum.  Just be aware,...
Technically 12C17 is "high carbon," but at 0.60%, not by much; and no moly nor vanadium.    Generally, it's not "strong" enough (with "strong" used as a term of art) for "better" kitchen knives, although it does get pretty sharp.  It's best uses are along the lines of pocket folders, tackle box, camping and other knives for which stain resistance and durability are key.      XCrMoV15 is a much better all-around kitchen knife alloy.  Damning when you stop to think...
The best sharpness test is cutting something.    BDL
As long as you keep chamber temp below 40C (give or take) you're "cold smoking."    We cold smoke outdoors in a large covered pit, which usually serves as our Santa Maria style steak grill.  The foods we mostly cold smoke are fish, sausage, and cheese.      To keep temps down, we run the smoke in from an external smoke generator, and cool the chamber with with one or two large, ice-filled pans if ambient temps require. I place really delicate food -- cheese or...
The Richmond part of Richmond Knives is Mark Richmond, the guy who owns CKtG.   Richmond knives are designed by Mark, have a lot of input from Mark, or at least have their design approved by Mark.   Richmond does not actually manufacture any knives itself, rather the knives are made OEM by several different makers.  If the knife in question is manufactured using a western alloy such as AEB-L, 19C27, or 52100, the maker was most likely Lamson.  Other Richmond...
The Konosuke is a laser.  While there are plenty of things it can do, there are a few things it shouldn't -- and a few more which you my find awkward.  The two things which are most limiting about lasers is how thin they are "behind the edge" which restricts them from certain heavy-duty tasks, and flex.    The Ultimatum is significantly stiffer and more robust.  It can do things the Kono won't -- or at least shouldn't, like go through cartilage, split the occasional...