or Connect

Posts by boar_d_laze

There are a lot of possible flaws in your technique which alone or in combination could cause the lack of oven spring.        I can't really tell you what you're doing wrong, until I know what you're doing.  It's a lot, but please describe your entire process, with particular attention to how you mix, knead, proof, rest, "punch down," and form your loaves.  You don't have to include recipes if you don't want as the problem is almost certainly with technique; but if...
Use tender meat to begin with.  Don't overcook,    Yes you can use acid in the marinade, but you don't have to.   I prefer a long marinating process, and marinate lamb souvlaki for four days.  Day 1, I put the lamb in a marinade of olive oil, herbs, onion and garlic.  Day three, add peppers.  Day three, salt (not too much), wine, vinegar and lemon juice.  Day four, cook.    At the end of the cook, just before removing the skewers from the...
Not really.  Truing those knives on any sort of honing rod is tricky.  Very few strokes, very light pressure, and you should be OK -- and it's easy to infer that you are, because that's what you're doing.  But if you notice any chipping or feel that you're losing polish and getting too much tooth from your rod, switch to stropping.  Stropping is less convenient, and you have to watch out for leaving a wire; but it's just as effective and a great deal gentler.   If...
With a "what's money?" budget:  Gesshin 400; 2K; and 8K.    With a rational budget, and the ability to plan in advance (the Beston and Bester need soaking):  Beston 500; Bester 1.2K;    Naniwa SS 3K; and Naniwa Pure White.   Or, if you don't want to go all the way to 8K -- but are willing to stop at a more practical and saner finish: Beston 500; Bester 1.2K; and Suehiro Rika. (Note that this is an extremely popular...
Luis knows how to sharpen.  His problem, if not unique, is extremely rare.  I've got some time in with HCs and never experienced it; nor have I ever heard anyone complain of anything similar.  The HC series takes great edges very easily.    So... it's really puzzling.   What comes to mind is that his particular knife may not have been properly heat treated, because the alloy in his particular knife acts a lot tougher and a lot less strong than it should.  But I'd...
If you had an HA, you'd use it the first few times you steeled the MAC; and would use the MAC Black after that until taking the knife back to the stones.  The HA would maintain the polish while truing the edge; while the MAC would give you a little fresh metal on the micro-serration as well as truing.  Assuming you sharpen the MAC once a month, and steel daily or every other day, you's use the HA for the first week and a half, or so.    I use an HA and a really worn...
Given your givens, your price range makes a lot of sense.  As a prospective knife maker, I'd like to steer you towards a semi-custom of some sort but there aren't many of those you can afford.  You might find some of the Richmonds interesting in that they've got a couple which are very "niche," but their Lamson made knives aren't without issues.    ZDP-189, R2, and SG are not semi-stainless.  They're all stainless alloys of a class called "powdered metallurgicals" ...
Once Arkansas stones enter the discussion, references to grit numbers -- unless they're extremely coarse or fine -- become problematic.   In my experience (and I've got a lot of it when it comes to carbon Sabs), the Sabs won't benefit much from stropping on newspaper.  Their "scratch hardness" is so low that no finish finer than the surgical black will last long enough to be a practical improvement.  And, fwiw, a black Ark finish is FRIKKIN' PERFECT for the...
There are a great many knives which satisfy your criteria for well under your budget; and $300 is probably way too much to spend on a student knife.    But circumstances differ, and perhaps I'm reading too much into your CT "culinary student" self description.  Could you talk about how you plan to use and maintain the knife?    BDL
No.  That's not trust, that's you distrusting him while asking him to trust you.  Trust would have each of you performing your part of the bargain based on the word of the other person.    To not trust that kokopuffs would perform timely and without fail is to miss the character of the man.    BDL