or Connect

Posts by boar_d_laze

I've seen much worse.  It's a knife with some convexing on the right face and almost none on the other -- not too unusual.  50/50 symmetry on the edge.  Not much in the way of a heel.  Thicker than some knives, thinner than others -- about average in that respect for a middle weight do-everything.  What is it about the grind you don't like?  What would you differently?    I've used and sharpened a few Artifex, think that although it's not a world beater it's a good knife...
As always, one of the first questions is "compared to what?"  Masahiro MV are decent knives for the money; but nothing special in their price range.    BDL
  BDL
First a very small thing:  "Chinita" means "Asian girl" more than it does "Chinese girl;" and Mexicans call Asian-appearing but native Mexicans "Chinos."  To a Mexican, if you're a young woman who looks Asian, whether because you're Chinese, Korean, Filipina or have flat cheekbones and almond eyes, you're a "Chinita."   Otherwise, I think you're right and seem to be doing all the right things.  You go!   Last, meaning no disrespect to anyone, nor commenting on...
Great review!  You told me everything I needed to know about why you loved the knife, showed me why it would be wrong for me, and kept me entertained along the way.  The Flickr video was also very good.  One thing I didn't understand was your reference to changing the direction of the teeth.  Which teeth?  Which direction?    And, not that the reference to "saw steel" didn't make sense, but the term covers an awful lot of ground.   Which alloy in particular?  Someone...
Молодец!   BDL
Since chips can be repaired very easily, it sounds like you're in the throes of new-knife fever rather than have a pressing need to replace knife which won't function.  That's fine.  It just lets us know that you're looking for a higher degree of satisfaction than merely filling a void.   Your budget is a little tight for a meaningful step up from the FKM, which is a good knife in its own right -- not to say there aren't options.  However, choices like the Suisun...
Tea; Chiu-Chow chicken soup with fish, fish balls, rice noodles; fish cake; kidneys; soda chanh.    Beans; fresh corn tortillas; fresh squeezed OJ; cafe de la olla.   Omelette aux herbes et fromage de chevre; cafe au lait.   Huevos con chorizo loaded with chopped serrano  -- the way Pascual the breakfast cook at Rod's (Route 66 Diner) makes it; biscuits; hash-browns; coffee.    My biscuits; butter; OJ; copious espresso (had it today).   Alaska Benedict...
It doesn't make a lot of sense to go from a 1K to an aoto.  It makes even less sense to go from aoto to a Suehiro Rika, since the Rika cuts like a 3K stone until you break down the mud and will then polish like a 5K.  As long as you keep wetting the Rika and occasionally rinse the old mud away, it will continue to act like a 3K.      Think about what you're trying to do.  Are you going to stop sharpening some knives at ~4K, or is your eventual plan to finish...
Help me figure out how many sliders to allow per person.  Will the sliders be apps or part of the main? If apps will the be passed, or at a station?  If passed, will they be plated?  And if plated, will they be served with both types of slider on the plate?    Will the bun be dressed in someway with something other than pork and sauce?  For instance, with coleslaw -- as pulled pork is often served in the south?   2oz pork per dinner-roll sized slider is very...