or Connect

Posts by KeeperOfTheGood

Hey oh Been a longish while since I was last active. Had a wee bit of trouble gaining acesse back, but, Nicko fixed it all up XD So, I am again "trying something new" and have not realy had luck finding a way to accompaney this experience. This is what I am going to have a try of: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...ps+sort%3Atime These, I do believe, are the 1000 year old eggs. While, yes, I could just crack into them and nosh, I'd much rather do a dinner or...
:smoking: yea man, them smoked ones..... LOL Yea, I do so like them as well. As much from the can as on a plate with an assortment of crackers and cheeses.
Hey oh Amazing, been (pun LOL) on hiatus from here for near a year and this was one of the conversations hot at the time I left. Well, I sadly forget who it was, but there was one fellow posted a link to a study on the issue, and the study demonstrated that bean cooking is realative to age of beans and not cooking fluid. The fresher the beans the better they cook, and visa versa. Personaly, I treat beans no different than rice, and I find they work out well. Lots of...
Hey oh I wish I could remember the name of it, something like Kirshenberri. A cherry wine from Europe. It was thick and sweet and rather nice. A rememberance of twenty years ago :) So, yes, active fermentation is an option too. And if you bump the sugar level the shelf life will be forever (at least that is what I was once told about sweet desert wines) :)
Hey oh There is a Chillain cook in the town next to mine that makes a mango salsa very much like that dish Pete. She doesn't make hers hot, but dang it is awsome on chips indeed.
LOL Thats because I am not a chilihead :) Actually, I find cayenne very inconsistent for heat. I also find it hotter by measure to the Thai chilis. :( I add Scotch Bonnets at 1 per 1 liter relish when making pepper relishes too. Hmmm, odd that, I just feel the heat better in cayenne than in some of the other peppers maybe? Dunno. But I am right, you only mix the two once in a lifetime :( Man that was a hot chili :( Hmmm, and there are some marrinades I like that...
:o Hehe. Yes, butter does taste different. Sweeter I think than oils. Works nice in cakes and in quickbreads and in sweet breads like http://www.mindspring.com/~cborgnaes...eca_frame.html Me, I usually only bake quickbreads and pancakes. I've done them so often I just feel it. On humid days I use less liquide, and on dry days more. Same to with cornbreads and derivitives of those, and with beanflour breads. When I am learning a new bread or "baking" bread I will...
Hey oh Um, well, there are differences between butter and oil. The biggest, and probably the important one, is that butter is only 80% oil. The other 20% being milk solids and water. That could cause some problems as it will change the moisture of your product. Clairified butter on the other hand should be interchangeable directly. That all being said, I am not a baker, and I simply eyeball my measurements, and mix by feel. I just toss in my soffened butter, and...
LOL Yes, not a mistake to make......... more than once in a lifetime. Yes, cayenne is a VERY hot pepper. It is what adds heat to hot paprikas. It is what makes cajun the hot food it is. If used with discretion and good judgement, it can be rather a nice pepper too. You need to find a recipe for a mixed spice that you like, and slowly add more cayenne to it till you find your heat level. I make a very generic cajun spice blend of 4-2-1-cayanne. 4 parts paprika, 2...
Well, not to show late, but to say I understand what you are after. If not the actual pastries. There are many things of my childhood I enjoyed that have dissapeared with time, and my own mind is a sieve. I can close my eyes and remember a taste or an aroma, but I can not remember a name to save my life :) Good luck and keep us apprised of how you make out.