or Connect

Posts by Chef Andrea

Search the web: enhanced by  
Fortunately, we won't be washing the dishes, since they'll be rentals -- just scraping them off...but I will add a person to manage that. 80 inch tables won't work in the space we're using -- they'll be too big. We still haven't gotten enough info from this potential client to work on a proposal -- I'm assuming that now that the holidays are over we can actually sit down and have a conversation. I greatly appreciate all the input, and will take it all under...
Thanks for the quick responses -- it's definately 15 tables, each 60 inches round, not 60 tables! In terms of the bar, we typically just do a beer, wine, soft drinks bar, but I'll keep in mind that we'll need additional bartenders if they want a full bar or a signature cocktail. I hadn't thought about a person to deal with the dishes...good idea. There is an elevator in the building, but I don't think that we'll be serving dinner upstairs, just appetizers. We don't...
We've been asked to bid on a sit-down wedding for between 120 - 140 guests. I'm assuming 8 people per 60" round table. It's in a venue we've worked before, but usually we do buffets. The place has its challenges -- the main dining area only seats 80, and then there are some rooms on the same floor that will seat perhaps 30 - 40 people. There is also an upstairs area that is used for the cocktail hour and dancing after dinner, I don't think we'll serve any dinners up...
I have a very small kitchen, so I don't have room for a dishwasher, or storing stuff like tables, chairs, dinnerware, etc. However, I have a great relationship with several rental companies, and I always order the rentals myself -- I don't allow the client to do it -- they get to pick the patterns, but not order. This way, I can get exactly what I need in terms of numbers of plates, glasses, etc. and equipment, and I charge 20% above the rental prices...I also get a...
Thanks for the feedback. Normally, I would have resisted the request and held the client to the contract, but because of the economy, I agreed to the change. I never say never...there are times to hold fast, and times to bend, this was a time to bend...I guess I was just looking for confirmation of my decision. I know that I'm just lucky to have the contract -- our wedding business is way off. thanks again to everyone who responded.
I need some help on how to deal with a client who has signed a contract, agreed to the fee and now wants to change the menu to "cut costs." The client -- the mother of the bride -- is very nice and we've been working very well together. She hired me almost a full year before the wedding -- just before the market went south. With her daughter, we planned a very nice menu -- all vegetarian, my specialty. And, we were all set for a Sept wedding. About a month ago after...
A few years ago when I thought I was going to close my catering business I interviewed at Whole Foods (or Whole Checkbook as we like to call it) for a kitchen position. I went through several interviews. It was weird because no one who interviewed me would tell me how much the job paid. During the interviews I asked several times if it was an issue that I didn't have formal culinary training, but was self taught. Not a problem they kept saying, you have good...
Here are a few other things for your list: 1. You must have say over how many wait staff and kitchen helpers you need. How many times have you had a client planning a 100+ person event say: "it's a buffet, can't we just have two servers?" 2. They have to live within the budget...no fillet on a hamburger budget. 3. No last-minute changes. 4. You should make some money on the event, even if it's a gift. Chef Andrea
It sounds amazing! Did you snap any photos, I'd love to see the displays. Chef Andrea