or Connect

Posts by hwood

Recently I went to a new Provencal restaurant in our area. The hostess was young and indifferent, but we did get seated, although with more difficulty than necessary. Our waitress recommended a seafood special, and since she assured me that all the seafood had come in fresh that moning, I decided to try it. Well, it wasn't awful, but it was bland, mediocre, and nowhere near as fresh as promised. I had no intention of ruining our evening with a fuss, and just ate some and...
Clifford Wright's book, Little Foods of the Mediterranean, is probably the one I go to most often. It's hardly an original choice, but the recipes are good and actually work, and under the generic "mediterranean" label a wide array of cuisines are covered, so I can always find a few interesting things that suit my ethnic interest of the moment. My other favorite is another Clifford Wright book, Mediterranean Vegetables. It isn't intended as a "small bites" book but the...
As is so often the case, the people "protecting" the animals didn't bother to learn anything about the animal's needs. I had a sheep farm for many years, and while I'm not convinced that being sheared is any fun for the sheep, it doesn't hurt them if done properly. If not done, it can be disastrous. I was once called to help with two pet sheep who had been left unsheared for two years out of "kindness". Because of the huge overgrowth of wool, they had become waterlogged...