or Connect

Posts by jbd

Without using gelatin I would say keep the whipped cream very cold at all times and avoid handling the whipped cream in a piping bag. To accomplish that you could try using a cookie press type of piping device so that you are handling only the handle part of the device. If two hands are needed for stability make sure the hand in contact with the barrel of the device is gloved with a winter glove to stop heat transer. If such a device is not available then use gloved hands...
Chef Ed, I found your comments about amber jack interesting. I've it twice in the Panama City beach area. Once was grilled, basted with a seasoned butter which was really good. The second time they served it blackened which was still good but not nearly as good as the grilled. In neither case did I find it greasy or fishy tasting.
RAS1187 !!! Great to see you posting again!! I have wondered where you disappeared to. Back on topic; as noted the topic has been discussed several times in the past with as many opinions about it as there are people expressing an opinion. Overall it seems like it should be acceptable to calll a slightly browned omelette American, if for no other reason it shouldn't be called a French omelette. The main issue seems to be whether or not people like the texture or flavor...
Again off the top of my head 1. I doubt the scalding in and of itself promotes yeast growth. It may in fact hamper the rate of growth if used while still too hot/warm. By using milk that has been warmed to say 100 F instead of using it cold from the refrigerator the rate of yeast growth will be faster. 2. That is how tenderness is achieved. 3. The sugar is one source of food for the yeast.
1. Milk- flavor, color, tenderness, protein structure. None of these in great amounts. 2. Shortening- Mostly tenderness, flavor if using lard. 3. Sugar- flavor , color, moisture retention. 4. Salt- Flavor, color, some control of yeast growth. 5. Yeast- leavening, 6. Flour- stucture as well as food for the yeast. 7. Eggs- structure, tenderness, emulsifier, flavor. Thats what I could come up with off the top of my head. Changing the ratios within the formula too much...
I've always heard and used the oil to vinegar ratio mentioned by ChefBillyB 3:1. Your recipe is indicating a 2:1 ratio which may be making your dressing too tart/acidic??
From what I have seen there is nothing you can do to keep the french fries warm without them getting soggy in the scenario you are describing. For short holding periods the heat lamp set ups you see in fast food places seems to work best.
Basically it is a dough conditioner. Deactivated yeast has an accessable peptide called glutathione. This breaks gluten strands in the dough during machine processing allowing the dough to flow like a thick liquid. After the machine processing is done the dough conditioners become used up and the gluten reforms into longer strands and allows the dough to hold its shape. Machine processing includes mixing, pumping through pipes and depositors and shaping machines.
I would do the cherry blossoms in gumpaste attached to floral wire stems. Insert the stem into the cake. Give the couple some extras when they pick up the cake so they can replace any that may get broken during transport/assembly. All such decorations should be removed for service.
GFS Marketplace and Sam's Club come to mind. In some cases the item may not be in stock but they can order it for you.