or Connect

Posts by MaryB

After a week of research and reading many reviews I settled on a retsel flour mill. The mills themselves have a very good reputation for an affordable price. After a 2 month delay mine finally arrived. I unpacked it and washes per instructions, ran a cup of wheat and tossed it to get it clean and ready to use. I ordered the optional stone burrs along with the stock metal ones. Stone ground flour is better but the steel burs let you grind oily thing like peanuts and other...
I started a post on home flour milling that will answer some questions. Yes you can buy organic flour but flour loses nutrients fast. 2 weeks and a lot of the vitamins are gone. Plus all commercial flour has the wheat germ removed from it and that removes a lot of the vitamins right there. The wheat germ is fatty and leads to spoilage of flour. I keep my home ground in a mason jar in the fridge to extend its life but I only grind what I need for a week. When I grind a new...
Smoke a chub of bologna first, slice and drop into the deep fryer. Serve on a toasted kaiser bun slathered with miracle whip and good stone ground hot mustard.
Nicko suggested I start a post on this for those who want to grind their own flour. It is work and not for everybody!   Step one is deciding on a mill.   How much flour do you need a week? Do you want motorized? Do you want to be able to control the grind from super fine to cracked wheat or settle for standard flour?   When picking a mill one of my main concerns was being able to use it during power outages. I went with a hand cranked mill that I can add a motor...
Yes I have been milling my own flour for years to avoid all the chemicals that get added and all the nutrition that is lost. Fresh flour tastes so much better!
When mom was recovering from surgery one year we all piled into the nearest buffet that was open. Not a huge fan of buffet food but it is an option.   Can you get someone to help? The year I had low back surgery friends helped me with all the lifting etc. Got me a stool to sit on at the counter so I could do prep and seasoning then they took over the rest of the work. They also did the mashed potatoes and a salad. I just took care of turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pies, and...
Never to much garlic! I use the pickled garlic in salads, or just munch it.
I buy my wheat berries from these guys and they have excellent quality product http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wheatmontana.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fpdfs%2FProduct%2520List%2520%252010-2013.pdf&ei=mxJtVKvKLoOWyQT6toGIDg&usg=AFQjCNGXnkw2IGcI9_niZaISDnIHnD3TxA&sig2=FQFB6HnxOwyfXr-VNiFt-g&bvm=bv.80120444,d.aWw
BBQ cater gig for 500 and my help didn't show, my bun order didn't show. I setup solo, made buns and baked them in the BBQ pit after I pulled pork butts and brisket off. Everything hit the serving line(thankfully the people I was catering for pitched in to help serve so I could cut meat as needed) on time and was a great hit. Served pulled pork, brisket, spare ribs, slaw, potato salad, baked beans, buns and every last bit was homemade and done on site. After tear down I...
Better than Bullion Turkey base is acceptable, not as nice as homemade stock but it works. Plus most grocery stores have turkey broth and stock in the soup isle this time of year.