or Connect

Posts by MaryB

I love it on saltine crackers! Pickled herring is good stuff and I grew up eating it. With a German/Norwegian(mainly, about another dozen nationalities in my family tree) we ate a lot of old world recipes when I was growing up.
One end of the loin is up against the shoulder so it can have the darker shoulder meat.
When I was working 10 days on 4 off(ad 10-12 hours a day!) I would cook on my days off, freeze some meals, leave others out for leftovers the next 3-4 days... Make a roast, have a nice sit down meal. Next day back at work when I get home chop roasts and leftover potatoes and carrots and make hash smothered in leftover gravy(hey it is a food group!), day after that was a salad and roast beef sandwich of some sort(this sliced, drop in some better than bullion to reheat, pile...
I have a chicken wild rice soup I make that has cream added. Good stuff! I am out of wild rice or I could make a small pot of that!
Depending on how it is cut one end of the loin ends at the shoulder so it could contain some of the darker meat. But I have never seen that cut here. Not in the mass produced cryovacced loins you see in the store anyway. Could maybe get it from a butcher.
If a caterer refuse to satisfy a customer they will not be in business long! I catered BBQ for 7 years(until my back gave out) and often used a customers recipe and seasoning preferences. It is their party not mine! I have to satisfy them and not my ego! More than once I was asked to do pork loin and it CAN be done. Low heat smoke for a few hours, when it reaches 145 I foiled and added liquid and back onto the pit. it will pull but not like a shoulder. It is not as moist...
My rule of thumb for men and teenagers is 1 pound raw per person. After 40% shrinkage from fat loss you end up with 1/2+ pound per person so a cushion for the really big eaters. One year at my annual BBQ a six year old girl put away 1 pound of pulled pork! Her 7 year old sister ate an entire slab of spare ribs by herself!
Smoke it at home, pull it and put it in baggies. Day of reheat... save all the juice that comes off while pulling and it will stay moist
Mine was cooked yesterday! And ate! Today I smoked a chuck roast, it is resting for a bit then I am pulling it for sandwiches.
Okay a little dark on the skin(wasn't burnt but close, rub is high in sugar) smoked chicken leg quarter and a smoked baked potato. I cooked at 375 so the skin was nice and crispy! On the potato too! Rubbed was Smokin' Guns mild and is my go to pork and chicken rub a lot of the time.