or Connect

Posts by MaryB

Let an oak fire burn down to coals, season a 1-2 inch thick ribeye and drop it right on the bed of coals to cook. Look for a spot that is not super hot if you like medium and not rare.
Going to count wild rice as rice(it is really a grass).?
WalMart online has pickling salt and a lot of the time free home delivery if you order enough
If they are falling apart with no filler you are either using to lean of meat, or not properly forming them.
The screw press is nice, no seeding or skin removal, cut in half or quarters and in it goes
The bags I get at Goodmans work okay, I sometimes have to use hand pressure on the door lever for the foodsaver or it pushes to hard. Never had one of them fail from puncturing or tearing in the freezer. And about half the price of FoodSaver brand bags.
I use one of the horizontal screw presses. I put a towel down under everything first, then clamp it down. Works well, not that hard to clean considering. I usually will only use it for large batches of tomatoes where I fill a dozen pints with sauce.
For me the best tasting fish are northern pike, then walleye/perch(related species), sunfish/crappies, catfish.... most saltwater fish is to strong tasting to me but I am also a long ways from any ocean in MN. Cod is okay, haddock too. Tilapia are farmed near me, they eat the crap(literally) from a chicken egg barn to help purify the water used to flush out the barn. They also have a funky sweet taste that is just wrong to me, like almost spoiled...
Catfish of all kids have fat under the skin that can taste bad, and the dark line down the side that can be very strong. I remove both before cooking. And flathead(blues are a subspecies of flathead) are the best tasting catfish on the planet. Meaty but flakey when cooked right.
Odd my link to cheap bags was removed...   http://www.goodmans.net/d/204/tilia-foodsaver-bags-rolls.htm