or Connect

Posts by MaryB

I love apples mid winter and the ones that have been in storage are bland/mealy to me. So I like to get a good cooking apple and can them for use until spring fruits start. Today was a peck of Haralson apples that I peeled and sliced(gotta love old fashioned kitchen gadgets for this!) on the peeler/corer/slicer. Packed into jars with a medium syrup then water bath canned for 20 minutes. Shelf stable and will easily store for a couple years but they never last that long...
5 days into a cottage bacon cure! Oct 11 or 12 I smoke it, then fridge overnight, then slice
I use an entire boned shoulder that I butterflied out a bit to flatten it.
Have the ingredients for a batch of cottage bacon(buckboard, butt bacon, many other names). Will be making it later this week.  
Breakfast egg pie, not an entry, made this 3 months ago! Bacon,Bisquick, eggs, bit of milk(want a thick pancake batter consistency), lots of cheddar, onion fried in the bacon fat. Bake at 350 until a knife comes out clean or just coated with cheese  
First winter squash is cooking! Acorn squash baked then filled with brown sugar and butter then finish baking it off. Some baked chicken too tonight. Chicken is form a friend I traded a bunch of herbs.
I should have taken a pic of my cheeseburgers tonight! Simple food. Cheese to me lands in a lot of comfort foods.
Here is a nice small footprint smoker that will do extended runs for things like brisket and butt http://pitbarrelcooker.com/ I would prefer one made from a 55 gallon barrel but for limited space that is the ticket.
Foodsaver now has some ziplock vac bags....
I store it in a canning jar, I have a vacuum attachment and can pull most of the air out and seal it.